Session Voting

Voting is now closed. Thank your for participating.

Active Optics Validation using Simulation

  • Posted on: 18 May 2018
  • By: sthomas

The Active Optics System (AOS) pipeline requires validation most likely but not necessarily using PhoSim. This session would go through the existing code and algorithm status and discussion plans for the AOS pipeline validation. In addition to the curvature wavefront pipeling and the optmal controller, the algorithm list  includes for instance Source Selection, ISR removal for WFS, Kalman filtering …

Agenda: 

1) Active Optcs System quick summary (Sandrine)

2) Active Optics System status (Te-Wei)

3) Validation Strategy (Sandrine and Bo)

4) Open Issues (Sandrine with input from Bo, Chuck and Te-Wei)

5) Open Discussion (all)

 

Afternoon Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 3:00-3:30
Turquoise Foyer

Afternoon Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 3:00-3:30
Turquoise Foyer

Afternoon Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 3:00-3:30
Turquoise Foyer

Astrophysical Probes of Dark Matter with LSST

  • Posted on: 13 May 2018
  • By: kbechtol

The goal of the session is to continue building the community of observers and theorists interested in astrophysical probes of dark matter with LSST. Dark matter research lies at the intersection of cosmology, particle physics, and galaxy formation, and involves diverse observational phenomena ranging from microlensing, to Galactic stellar streams, to galaxy-scale strong lenses, to galaxy clusters. As such, the opportunities for dark matter research with LSST span several of the eight currently active LSST Science Collaborations. To help organize efforts across Science Collaborations, nearly 50 scientists gathered in March 2018 for a workshop on "Probing the Nature of Dark Matter with LSST" in Pittsburgh (https://lsstdarkmatter.github.io/), and conversations are ongoing through a series of monthly telecons and on the #desc-dark-matter Slack channel. Current work is focused on identifying the most promising techniques to constrain dark matter particle properties using LSST data and other facilities, and to describe these methods in a series of white papers. Scientists interested in astrophysical probes of dark matter are encouraged to attend this session, present their ideas, and learn more about how to get involved. This session is also well timed with respect to the anticipated call for special observing programs that might be motivated by dark matter science cases.

Blending Workshop 1 - Challenges, Current Status and Future Plans for Addressing Blending in LSST Data Release Pipelines

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: pburchat

As the first of two sessions to lay the groundwork for the Workshop on Impacts of Blending on LSST Science, this session will provide an overview of the blending challenges in the LSST data release pipelines, the current strategy for addressing blended objects, and the status of components of the pipeline most relevant to blended objects (e.g., the multiband deblender). 

AGENDA

* Peter Melchior: Blending and why it matters
* Jim Bosch: LSST Data Release Pipelines - Big Questions for Blending
* Fred Moolekamp: The current state of multi-band deblending with scarlet
* Peter Melchior: Open issues in blending and detection
* Open discussion

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items)

For background, see these LSST DESC Blending Task Force presentations (~50 min each):

 

Blending Workshop 2 - Overview of Blending Challenges for LSST Science

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: pburchat

As the second of two sessions to lay the groundwork for the Workshop on Impacts of Blending on LSST Science, this session will provide a high level overview of the blending challenges for different types of science at LSST depths. We anticipate that the session will describe the major blending challenges for different areas of LSST science including the following:

  • Accurate classification, photometry, and astrometry of point sources in crowded fields.
  • Galaxy detection, photometry and shear estimation in field and galaxy cluster environments.
  • Reliable photometry of resolved galaxy images in the presence of extended low surface brightness wings, foreground stars, close companions, irregular variations in surface brightness, and the presence of low surface brightness light.
  • Optimal deblending approaches for active galactic nuclei and transient sources in galaxies.
  • Accurate differentiation of cases of comet-like activity associated with solar system objects from cases where faint background sources simply mimic such activity. 

Please contact the session organiser (Sarah Brough, s.brough@unsw.edu.au) if you have questions about, or would like to contribute to, this session.

Agenda

We will start with a set of 5-min presentations (+2 min for questions) from the Science Collaborations (SCs).  All presentations are in the single set of attached slides. 

  • Galaxies SC (Brant Robertson)
  • AGN SC (Niel Brandt)
  • Strong Lensing SC
  • Dark Energy SC (David Kirkby / Pat Burchat)
  • Transient/variable stars SC (Federica Bianca)
  • Solar System SC (Henry Hsieh)
  • Stars, Milky Way and Local Volume SC (John Gizis)

This will be followed by time for discussion. The expected outcomes of this session are:

  • An inventory of challenges.
  • Identified overlaps or common challenges between SCs.
  • Identified ideas for unconference sessions.

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

Blending Workshop 3 - Hands-on Deblending: Simulations and Pipeline Tutorial

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: fred3m

This session will use Jupyter notebook tutorials to introduce tools for producing simulations of blended objects and running the new SCARLET deblender. The purpose is to prepare participants to characterize blending challenges for different science cases. Experts will be available in the DM hack room later in the workshop to help people make progress on the tutorials.

Agenda

We will briefly (~5-10 min) review the model and key data structures in SCARLET, then users will connect to the LSST Science Platform Notebook Aspect (https://nb.lsst.io/) to access two tutorials.

  1. A notebook demonstrating how to use scarlet as a stand alone package and interacively modifying it's parameters
  2. A notebook illustrating how to use scarlet in the DM stack.

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

Blending Workshop 4 - New Concepts for Object Detection and Deblending

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: pmelchior

Current and planned deblenders for LSST employ non-parametric models and analytic constraints to determine the most plausible blend configurations, but galaxies have complex shapes. A closed-form description of galaxy morphologies is elusive, which means that implicit descriptions (e.g. from neural networks) or more sophisticated interpolations (e.g. Gaussian processes) might help. Alternatively, we might think of not doing deblending at all. Moreover, there is a need for optimized de-blending approaches for variable sources in galaxies. This session is meant to explore ideas that could lead to radically different concepts of how to deal with blending.

Agenda
  • Peter Melchior: Introduction and unsolved problems
  • Valerio Roscani: ASTErIsM
  • Sowmya Kamath: Detection on residuals
  • Erin Sheldon: Tests of the Scarlet and Multi-object Fitting Deblenders for
    Shear Recovery
  • Tony Tyson & Erfan Nourbakhsh: Don’t deblend at all, implications for DE metrics
  • open discussion

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

Blending Workshop 5 - Tools and Data Sets for Developing and Evaluating Algorithms for Blended Objects

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: pburchat

This session is dedicated to a discussion and comparison of current or planned tools that ingest real data (e.g., images from space, convolved with a ground-based PSF) or simulations, or embed simulated objects in real data, to provide training or test data sets for developing and evaluating algorithms to deal with blended objects.

AGENDA - As well as an overview of real or simulated data sets, we will hear about a few specific illustrative examples.

All presentations are in the single set of attached slides.

1.  Combining existing space & ground imaging - overview  - Harry Ferguson
  -  Example: HST/HSC - Will Dawson
2.  Catalog-based simulations - two blending-analysis examples.
3.  Pixel-level simulation tool kits -
  -  Example 1: Weak Lensing Deblending package - David Kirkby
  -  Example 2: Blending Tool Kit - Sowmya Kamath
  -  Example 3: Chromatic Real Galaxy - Sowmya Kamath
4.  Generative models for simulation - overview & examples - David Kirkby
5.  Simulations embedded in real data -
  -  Example:  Balrog (Dark Energy Survey) - Eric Huff

Discussion and planning.

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

Session organisers: Pat Burchat and David Kirkby.

Blending Workshop 6 - Clues About Blending in the LSST Object Catalog

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: ferguson

The goal for this session is to encourage further discussion about the fields in the object catalog (as currently envisioned, or as part of a wish list) that might be used to:

  • identify potentially unrecognized blends,
  • distinguish complex sources, such as mergers, from blended objects,
  • find large-scale, low surface-brightness features that might masquerade as background,
  • assess possible contamination from identified neighbors, for photometry or shapes.

Please contact the session organisers if you would like to contribute a talk to this session

Participants are encouraged to review the Data Products Definition Document, section 4.3.1 in particular and consider how one might use queries to find objects of interest or concern.

Tentative Agenda 

Fred Moolekamp -- Blending Challenges

20 min Jim Bosch -- The Object Catalog & Responses to issues raised in earlier blending sessions

10 min Fred Moolecamp -- Parameters output by Scarlet deblender

1 hour General discussion ... including 10min talk from Benne Holwerda on overlapping galaxies

Please add entries to this table with suggestions for Object catalog parameters that
might provide hints on blending:

Editable table (you can use your google account to sign up):
https://airtable.com/invite/l?inviteId=invW7fQM8zlCncjnO&inviteToken=b91...

Read-only view:
https://airtable.com/shr5PpezhNHhQRsWr

Or add your thoughts to the scribe notes in the Google doc:

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

Blending Workshop 7 - Solar System Objects, Crowded Fields, and Other Specialized Blending Challenges

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: hhsieh

This session seeks to foster discussion of more specialized blending challenges than have been discussed thus far in this workshop, including solar system science and crowded fields.

Blending presents somewhat different challenges for solar system science than for other areas of astronomy due to the fact that solar system objects move, and so difference imaging may very well solve most blending situations that may come up.  However, there may still be challenges involving solar system objects and blending, such as distinguishing cometary activity (especially when associated with slow-moving objects) from blended background sources, and performing accurate photometric and morphological measurements of solar system objects moving across or close to background sources. This is particularly true early in the survey when faint stationary sources are less well characterized or when fields include partially saturated sources with poorly characterized point-spread-functions. Both of these will affect the quality of difference imaging analysis. We will also discuss how blending from solar system objects may affect other science areas, such as transient science.

Crowded stellar fields present other special challenges for deblending software, where iterative solutions are needed to find and model increasingly faint sources, and informative priors may be useful in regions where nearly all visible sources will be stars (such as in the galactic plane). These fields also share some of the same problems as solar system science, such as fields with a large number of saturated stars and the utility of (some nearby) moving objects decreasing the impact of blending if their motions can be properly accounted for. This session can also include a discussion of techniques for performing accurate photometric and astrometric measurements in crowded fields.

This session will provide an opportunity for those in the LSST community to consider whether blending-related challenges for their science (a) can be safely ignored, (b) are adequately addressed by de-blending algorithms being developed by other LSST community members for other science uses, or (c) require the development of science-specific tools to address -- and to discuss representative use cases with pipeline developers.  Discussions of other specialized blending challenges are also welcome. 

If you are interested in contributing to the session, please contact the session organiser Henry Hsieh.

Agenda

Overview of solar system blending cases -- Henry Hsieh

Solar system object astrometry in crowded fields -- Julio Camargo

Detection and astrometry of fast-moving objects -- Quan-Zhi Ye

Comparing the LSST standard pipeline and psf-fitting photometry in extremely crowded fields -- Veronica Dike

General discussion

Google doc for scribe notes (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

Blending Workshop 8 - Closeout for Workshop on Impacts of Blending on LSST Science

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: pburchat

Summarize findings on impacts of blending on LSST science and metrics for quantifying impact. Planning for future work -- within and across science collaborations. 

Please contact the session organiser (Sarah Brough; s.brough@unsw.edu.au) if you would like to contribute to this session.

Agenda:

  • Introduction (10mins)

  • Small group discussion (5-8 people per group; 30mins) with answers to the questions below captured in slides:

What are the figures of merit and metrics of success in quantifying the impacts of blending?
What tools and data products exist to evaluate these metrics (e.g., simulations, data sets, software frameworks) and what is missing?
What are the requirements on these metrics?

  • Small groups report back (20mins)

  • Final open discussion (20mins).

Google doc for scribe notes taken for each session (key findings, next steps, actionable items).

The Google slides in which the small groups captured their discussions and reported back are linked here.

Cadences, DDF Locations, Mini-Surveys and Survey Extensions

  • Posted on: 10 May 2018
  • By: dscolnic

This will be a follow-up to the already proposed session that will be a forum on the upcoming call for White Papers on LSST Cadence and other observing strategy components. This session would allow for more in-depth presentations of different cadence algorithms, metrics and simulations, as well as different ideas of additional deep fields and their locations, and possible mini-surveys. This session would also include discussions about synergy between LSST and other surveys and what are the critical decisions about observing strategy that need to be made to optimize this synergy. This session could be opened to include a discussion of LSST ToO follow-up if that is not proposed as part of another additional session.

 

Schedule: 

Dan Scolnic: DESC Response to White Paper and DDF selection

Nicolas Regnault: SNIa science with different LSST observing strategies

Melissa Graham: Photo-z's with different LSST observing strategies

Humna Awan: Dithering and Large Scale Structure with LSST

Peter Yoachim: SLAIR

ComCam Planning and Scheduling

  • Posted on: 8 May 2018
  • By: jhoward

ComCam's integration is scheduled to start in November 2018, with handover to Commissioning in the first half of 2019, and shipping to Chile sometime in the year after that. There are many details to discuss to make this happen. - Harmonize the schedule between T&S, Camera, Commissioning, and DM, ensuring shared milestones are understood - Discussion on integration and testing in Tucson - Determine what state the the summit White Room and Staging Areas need to reach and when - Check the TMA utilities for ComCam and the Refrigeration Pathfinder

Commissioning Review Action Items Discussion

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bselvy

This session will review the action items accumulated from the Summer 2018 Commissioning Review. The action items will be summarized and responses will be formulated.

Commissioning Verification Planning Working Session 1

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bselvy

This sessions is intended for LSST Project personnel, particularly those directly involved in commissioning planning.  We use these sessions to take several high level system requirements and develop detailed verification plans and tests down to specifying required input data, procedures, and post processing necessary to satisfy the verification requirements. At each stage of the verification process, we will identify personnel roles and locations where the specific activities will be conducted. Candidate Observatory System Specifications that will be addressed are:
OSS-REQ-0219: Wavefront Sensing on Sky Efficiency
OSS-REQ-0222: Ghost Image Control
OSS-REQ-0237: Filter Out of Band Constraints
OSS-REQ-0247: Total Optical Throughput
OSS-REQ-0334: Flat Fielding Allocations
OSS-REQ-0276: Calibration of the Atmospheric Transmission
OSS-REQ-0298: Absolute Pointing

As time permits we make simulate the activity flow for one of the verification events detailed.

Part 2 is in the same room at 1:30 PM.

Commissioning Verification Planning Working Session 2

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: bselvy

This sessions is intended for LSST Project personnel, particularly those directly involved in commissioning planning.  We use these sessions to take several high level system requirements and develop detailed verification plans and tests down to specifying required input data, procedures, and post processing necessary to satisfy the verification requirements. At each stage of the verification process, we will identify personnel roles and locations where the specific activities will be conducted. Candidate Observatory System Specifications that will be addressed are:

OSS-REQ-0219: Wavefront Sensing on Sky Efficiency
OSS-REQ-0222: Ghost Image Control
OSS-REQ-0237: Filter Out of Band Constraints
OSS-REQ-0247: Total Optical Throughput
OSS-REQ-0334: Flat Fielding Allocations
OSS-REQ-0276: Calibration of the Atmospheric Transmission
OSS-REQ-0298: Absolute Pointing

As time permits we make simulate the activity flow for one of the verification events detailed.

Part 1 is in the same room at 11:00 AM.

Communications Office update

  • Posted on: 8 May 2018
  • By: rgill01

Update to project and community on who we are and what we do. Communications team members from partners SLAC, NCSA and IN2P3 will also present:

  • what the partner does for LSST
  • how the communications office functions
  • activities covered

This will be followed by a dialogue on what we could do in the future for maximum impact with our minimal resources. Ideas from the community/participants working on other projects with insights into what works well or not on those.

Audience: Anyone interested in LSST Communications

Agenda:

11:00-11:10 - LSST Communications Office update - R. Gill (@ranpalgill)
11:15-11:25 - SLAC Communications - M. Gnida (@manuelgnida)
11:30-11:40 - IN2P3 Communications - G. Shifrin (@momwontwait)
11:45-11:55 - NCSA Marketing & PA - H. Remmert 
12:00-12:30 - Open discussion on way forward

5 min Q/A between talks

Session organisers: R. Gill (Chair), S. Jacoby, K. Metzger

 

Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) tool discussion

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bselvy

This session will review and discuss the requirements for such a tool, discuss the tool previously purchased, and have a discussion on the path forward, including whether the existing tool will meet needs, meet it with additional customization, or if a new tool should be pursued. This session will also touch upon the CMMS' interactions with the broader Work Management System (WMS).

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 10

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 11

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 2

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 3

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 4

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 5

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 6

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 7

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 8

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM Hack Session & LSST Stack Self Service Tutorial 9

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: jbosch

This room is available for DM team members to work on collaborative coding projects.

In addition, following on the popularity of the LSST Stack "self service" tutorial from last year we propose to provide the latest Stack Tutorial notebook this year on a Jupyter environment. There will once again be a roster of DM experts available in the DM Hack Room for tutorial participants to ask questions as they work through this notebook, LSST Software "DM Stack Club" community provided tutorial(s) or something you are working on yourself. We hope to have some people available for some part of each day.

DM-SE Science Verification/Validation - Alert Production

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bselvy

Overview of the Alert Production V&V plan.

1.30 - 1.45 pm Introduction to commissioning  [Keith Bechtol]
    Commissioning timeline
    Science validation surveys
1.45 - 2.00 pm Verification and Validation requirements [Andy Connolly]
    Flow down of requirement documents from the SRD to commissioning
    Elements of a requirement: requirement, metric, threshold, test plan
2.00 - 2.15 pm Writing a requirement in JIRA [Austin Roberts]
    Creating a requirement in JIRA including components, writing test plans, adding data sets to tests, traceability, and linking tests across multiple requirements
2.15 - 3.00 pm Working session on writing requirements: part 1  [All]
    Implementing requirements and test plans in JIRA for alert and data release production

DM-SE Science Verification/Validation - DRP

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bselvy

Data Release Production commissioning plan overview and status.

3.30 - 4.30 pm Working session on writing requirements: part 2  [All]
    Implementing requirements and test plans in JIRA for alert and data release production
4.30 - 4.45 pm DESC science validation plans [Chris Walter]
    Summary of DESC meeting validation discussion
    Developing a template for science validation tests
4.45 - 5.00 pm Wrap up and discussion of validation needs and expertise

EPO Open House

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: abauer

The mission of LSST EPO is to provide non-specialists access to, and context for, a subset of LSST data through accessible and engaging online experiences so anyone can explore the Universe and be part of the discovery process. This Open House builds from the EPO Plenary talk in the morning. Please bring questions or ideas you have and we'll be happy to respond and discuss, or feel free to reach out to EPO prior to the session so we can be prepared to discuss your ideas (contact info below).  

AGENDA

  • Introduce members of the Education and Public Outreach team is building for LSST
  • Poll attendees abut what topics they would like to discuss (including formal education, citizen science, skyviewer exploration tool, opportunities for you to contribute to EPO construction, the Operations website, etc)
  • Actively set remaining agenda for the session based on your live feedback!  
  • (If no participants suggest topics, I will go into more details about the EPO program than there was time for during the EPO Plenary) 

 

For questions or suggestions or contributions, please contact the Head of EPO Amanda Bauer, abauer@lsst.org @astropixie

Exploring the Final Frontier with LSST

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Exploring the Final Frontier with LSST

Presented by

Phil Marshall & Ardis Herrold

Thursday, August 16th, 2018
7:00 pm, Turquoise Ballroom

The public is invited to join the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) team for an evening of astronomy with Cosmologist Phil Marshall and Education Specialist Ardis Herrold.  With Project Manager Victor Krabbendam, they will describe the construction status of the Tucson-based LSST, its mission of exploration, and how you can be involved in the discoveries of this amazing science engine. 

Currently under construction in Chile, LSST will survey the entire visible southern sky every few days for a decade – the widest, fastest, and deepest view of the night sky ever observed. LSST’s vast archive of data will dramatically advance our knowledge of the dark energy and dark matter that make up 95 percent of the Universe, as well as galaxy formation and potentially hazardous asteroids.  Much of the data archive will be available not only to professional scientists, but also to educators, students, amateur astronomers and members of the public interested in participating in “citizen science” projects.  Phil and Ardis will talk us through some of the many explorations LSST will make possible for scientists of all ages.

Following the talk, the speakers and other LSST team members will be available for informal conversations on topics including astronomy, engineering, STEM careers, LSST’s education and outreach programs, Big Data, Chile, and much more.  A no-host bar will be available.  LSST really is a telescope for everyone.  We encourage you to learn more about Tucson’s leadership role in this exciting project and how you can participate in—and benefit from—LSST’s ten-year voyage of scientific discovery.

# # #

Speaker Bios

Ardis Herrold is a nationally recognized science educator and a member of the LSST Education and Public Outreach team.  In addition to her 30+ years in the classroom, Ardis has served as president of the National Earth Science Teachers Association, received the Brennan Award for high school astronomy teaching by the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, and pioneered efforts to include students in authentic research experiences using federally funded research and development facilities such as Kitt Peak National Observatory, the Spitzer Space Telescope, the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, and now LSST. @stardish

Phil Marshall is a staff scientist at the Kavli Institute for Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology, at SLAC, Stanford University and a member of the LSST Dark Energy Science Collaboration.  His main research interest is observational cosmology using gravitational lensing: weighing galaxies, and measuring the expansion rate of the Universe. He is involved in a number of surveys to find new lenses, using both ground-based and space telescopes, including designing the strong lensing science analysis for LSST. @drphilmarshall

Victor Krabbendam has been LSST Project Manager since 2012, after eight years as Project Manager for the LSST Telescope & Site subsystem. Trained as a mechanical engineer, Victor has worked in industry, government, and with major astronomical research facilities including the Hobby-Eberly Telescope at McDonald Observatory and the Southern Astrophysical Research (SOAR) Telescope, a 4.1 meter telescope that is LSST's neighbor on Cerro Pachón. @VLK321

 

Following-up LSST Alerts

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bryanwmiller

The era of large transient surveys (e.g. Catalina, Pan-STARRS, ZTF, and especially LSST) provides many exciting opportunities for new discoveries and understanding of the variable sky. However, the volume of alerts may overwhelm individual facilities and current observing procedures. This session will discuss how existing and future facilities could be organized in order to follow-up the most interesting objects from transient surveys in the most efficient manner. The Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF) is now issuing transient alerts from its community survey in the LSST format, available in real time for brokering and follow-up. This offers a valuable opportunity to carry out immediate science in the LSST model. The design of a follow-up network being planned by NOAO, SOAR, Las Cumbres Observatory, and Gemini Observatory will be described. The plan is to test the system using ZTF alerts and then scale up to LSST. The components include the NOAO ANTARES broker, observation managers, automated observing systems, and data pipelines. Other options and issues such as coordinating observations and time allocation options will be discussed.

Agenda

  • Introduction to Alert Follow-up Networks - Bryan Miller (10min + 5)
  • ANTARES - Monika Soraisam (10min + 5)
  • TOMs and Broker Survey - Federica Bianco (10+5)
  • ZTF Alerts and Follow-up - Stephen Ridgway (10+5)
  • Discussion (30 min)

Please contact Bryan Miller (bmiller@gemini.edu) if you would like to contribute or have questions.

Location: Presidio V (Bluejeans 752 676 847)

Group Photo

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

5:30pm

Group Photo: first all who identify as women followed by Group Photo of all

Interfacing with the Prompt Products Database

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: swinbank

The Prompt Products Database is integral to the operation of the Alert Generation Pipeline. Prototypes of both that database and the pipeline exist, but there remain a number of open questions and unresolved issues about the interfaces between these systems.

In this session, we will present a brief introduction to the current state of the art, then walk through an example of processing a visit through the Alert Generation Pipeline and explore its interactions with the PPDB.

The indented audience for this session consists of DM architects and developers with an interest in the design of the alert production system

Agenda:

  • Definition of the PPDB (5 minutes, Eric Bellm)
  • l1dbproto design & result (15 minutes, Andy Salnikov)
  • AssociationTask: work to data and l1dbproto integration (15 minutes, Chris Morrison)
  • Whiteboard exercise: AP processing (55 minutes, John Swinbank drawing, everybody contributing)

LSST Code of Conduct

  • Posted on: 2 May 2018
  • By: cmontgomery

In order to serve various collaborations and communication channels throughout LSST, project members have created a multitude of documents highlighting required behaviors collectively known and “Codes of Conduct”. Do you know the various LSST Codes of Conduct? Would you know where to even access them? Do you feel comfortable utilizing these documents as tools if you need to have conversations about someone’s behavior?

This session would provide a high-level overview of what documents exist, where to access them and an opportunity to provide feedback. This session is open to all project members regardless of their home institution.

Agenda:
- Review What CoC’s are and where to access- high level summary
- Activity to solicit feedback regarding CoC’s
- Recap of what was captured in the discussion
- A next-steps process that will include review by an appropriate sub group and communication of final decisions

LSST Software Community "Stack Club"

  • Posted on: 8 May 2018
  • By: pjm

Come and learn about the LSST processing software (the "LSST Software Stack") by working your way through one of our community-built tutorial Jupyter notebooks, and then extending it to do the things you are most interested in. We'll provide access to a JupyterLab instance, so no installation will be required: you can just jump in. We'll give you a quick guided tour of the tutorials we've got, and a demonstration of one of them in action. Then, we'll break up into a short hack session. The Stack Club is an LSSTC-supported initiative that will be active by video through the Fall: you can get started in Tucson at the PCW, and then carry on learning with us when you get home. 

  • Welcome: Introduction to the Stack Club (Phil, ~15 mins) @drphilmarshall

  • Example Tutorial: "Low-Surface Brightness Source Detection" (Alex ~20 min)

  • How to Write a Stack Club Tutorial (~10 mins)

  • Halftime break

  • Divide into groups, to work through and discuss notebooks, and possible Stack Club projects (~ 40 min)

  • Closeout: How to join the Stack Club (Phil, 5 min)

 

Lunch Provided

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Lunch 12:30-1:30
Turquoise III

Lunch Provided

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Lunch 12:30-1:30
Turquoise III

Lunch Provided

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Lunch 12:30-1:30
Turquoise III

Meeting room available

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

PRESIDIO I
40 Capacity

PRESIDIO II
30 Capacity

PRESIDIO III/IV
100 Capacity

AGAVE I/II
30 Capacity

AGAVE III
12 Capacity

PALO VERDE
20 Capacity

Meeting room available

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

PRESIDIO I
40 Capacity

PRESIDIO II
30 Capacity

PRESIDIO III/IV
100 Capacity

CORONADO I
50 Capacity

AGAVE I/II
30 Capacity

AGAVE III
12 Capacity

PALO VERDE
20 Capacity

Meeting room available

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

ALL MEETING ROOM AVAILABLE
NO A/V or Logistical Support

Meeting room available

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

ALL MEETING ROOM AVAILABLE
NO A/V or Logistical Support

Morning Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 10:30-11:00
Turquoise Foyer

Morning Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 10:30-11:00
Turquoise Foyer

Morning Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 10:30-11:00
Turquoise Foyer

Morning Break

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Break 10:30-11:00
Turquoise Foyer

Observing Strategy White Paper workshop

  • Posted on: 27 April 2018
  • By: Zivezic

In the upcoming Call for White Papers on LSST Cadence Optimization (to be issued on June 30, 2018) we will promise "The Project will organize a dedicated session at the LSST 2018 All-hands meeting (Tucson, Aug 13-17) about this call for white papers, to further clarify details, exchange ideas, discuss simulated surveys, and coordinate teams that plan to submit white papers."

Perfect Pixels. Accurate Astrophysics. Correct Cosmology.

  • Posted on: 3 May 2018
  • By: rmandelb

A workshop with the same title as this session took place in Aspen earlier this summer, with many participants who are part of LSST DM or the LSST science community.  The focus of the workshop was on challenges in learning about astrophysics and cosmology from large survey data, all the way from observational systematics to theoretical interpretation and inference.  This session will include summary talks and discussion on a selection of topics from the workshop that are particularly of relevance for LSST.

Agenda:
1. Brief intro/welcome (Rachel Mandelbaum; 2 minutes)

2. The scientific impact of using coadded images, and associated algorithmic challenges (Jim Bosch; 15 + 15 minutes for presentation and discussion)

  • For background, see 06/18/2018 LSST DESC Blending Task Force presentation by Jim Bosch on "Co-addition algorithms and impacts of blending": slides, Zoom video (62 min).

3. Theoretical challenges: covariances, likelihoods, and astrophysical systematics (Tim Eifler; 15 + 15 minutes for presentation and discussion)

4. Quantifying agreement or tension between different measurements (Eric Huff; 15 + 15 minutes for presentation and discussion)

Live notes can be found here.

Pipeline Development and Cadence Optimization for Solar System Science

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: hhsieh

Updates from Project personnel about current development of the Moving Object Processing System (MOPS) for LSST and progress in evaluating impacts of proposed cadences on different areas of solar system science using the Operations Simulator (OpSim) and Metrics Analysis Framework (MAF), and discussion between Project personnel and interested scientists about upcoming MOPS development and cadence optimization efforts.

Proposed MOPS solar system data products table: http://ls.st/j7f

Agenda

Moving Object Processing System (MOPS) overview -- Lynne Jones

OpSim/Metrics Analysis Framework (MAF) overview -- Lynne Jones

General discussion, possibly including following topics:
- MOPS data schema/data products
- Cadence optimization white papers
- Alert brokers
 

Plans and Policies for LSST Alert Distribution

  • Posted on: 8 May 2018
  • By: ebellm

The LSST alert stream will enable real-time science, but it relies on a new ecosystem of community brokers. In this session we will review the status of the LSST alert distribution system from end to end. We will describe progress developing the technical systems needed to move 10 million alerts per night. We will outline a proposed process and timeline for selecting LSST's community brokers. And we will discuss ongoing work on the LSST simple alert filtering system (the "mini-broker"). 

Plenary

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: admin

3:30-3:55 PM Welcome & Status - S. Kahn/V. Krabbendam (@vlk321)
4:00-4:15 PM Verfication & Commissioning - Selvy/Claver/Reil
4:20-4:35 PM Performance Prediction - B. Xin
4:40-5:00 PM Student shout-outs

5 min question time between talks, remote participants to send questions through BlueJeans chat

CHAIR: Victor Krabbendam

Plenary

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: admin

KEYNOTES
9:00-9:25AM LIGO:  The Bumpy Road from Construction to Science - B. Barish (@bcbarish)
9:30-9:55AM Gaia: from science case to data release. Lessons learnt and their application to LSST - L. Guy (@leannepguy)

10:00-10:25 Workshop on impacts of blending on LSST science: Goals and Overview - S. Brough & J. Bosch

5 min question time between talks, remote participants to send questions through BlueJeans chat

CHAIR: Steve Kahn

Plenary

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: admin

9:00-9:30AM EPO 101 - A. Bauer
9:40 -10:15AM Lightning Stories - various speakers
10:20-10:30AM StoryTime-Domain Introduction

5 min question time between talks, remote participants to send questions through BlueJeans chat

CHAIR: Amanda Bauer

Plenary

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

9:00-9:25AM Telescope & Site 101 - D. Neill
9:30-9:55AM LSSTCam 101: How Many Corgis Would Fit in the Camera? (and other pressing questions) - M. Lopez
10:00-10:25AM Data Management 101 - C. Slater (@cts_xyz)

5 min question time between talks, remote participants to send questions through BlueJeans chat

CHAIR: William O'Mullane

Plenary

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

Breakout reports to be uploaded here ahead of time

11:00-12:15PM Breakout Reports - various speakers
12:20-12:30PM Closeout message - V. Krabbendam (@vlk321)

5 min question time between talks, remote participants to send questions through BlueJeans chat

CHAIR: Victor Krabbendam

SLIDES: http://ls.st/l3p

PMO Administrative Policy & Procedure Updates 1

  • Posted on: 18 June 2018
  • By: dcalabrese

First of two sessions. Managers, administrative assistants and other PMO support staff will take a “think tank” approach on topics such as workplace culture, new hire orientation, employee morale, expanding/enhancing Ben’s Bells, etc.

PMO Administrative Policy & Procedure Updates 2

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: dcalabrese

Second of two sessions. Managers, administrative assistants and other PMO support staff will take a “think tank” approach on topics such as workplace culture, new hire orientation, employee morale, expanding/enhancing Ben’s Bells, etc.

Preparing to Do Solar System Science with LSST

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: hhsieh

Discussion among scientists interested in solar system research about making necessary preparations for doing solar system science with LSST data, including identifying and developing communal analysis tools of interest to broad sections of the solar system community with the appropriate level of automation needed to cope with the LSST data stream, specifying key data products and means for accessing them that will be needed to facilitate the use of LSST data by as many interested solar system scientists as possible, and plans for a solar system alert system and possible framework for prioritizing and performing follow-up observations.

Proposed MOPS solar system data products table: http://ls.st/j7f

Agenda:

Solar System Science Collaboration overview -- David Trilling

Software development overview -- Henry Hsieh

A Small Solar System Object Platform -- Julio Camargo

General discussion, possibly including following topics:
- MOPS data schema/data products
- Funding proposals
- Software development needs
- Alert brokers
 

 

PSF Estimation

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: jmeyers314

This session will focus on PSF estimation methods - and in particular what can be learned from PSF work occurring throughout the community.. Precursor surveys are dealing with some of the PSF estimation issues that LSST will face, and so this session would be an opportunity for LSST project personnel and community members to discuss PSF issue together. In addition, this session could be an opportunity for Camera & Telescope personnel to discuss how optics and focal plane performance may affect the LSST PSF.

Some questions we'd like to address include

Based on experience from working on DECam and HSC...

  • What balance of engineering models (Zemax, finite-element analyses, metrology, ...) and empirical models should we pursue for incorporation into science pipelines?
  • What engineering images (e.g., full-field out-of-focus donut images) taken during commissioning would be beneficial to help characterize the PSF for use in science pipelines?

We welcome additional questions from the community too.

Agenda

  • Sensor+dithering stategy effect on residual PSF ellipticity (Tyson, 10 minutes)
  • Double Zernikes and Nodal Aberration Theory (Bauman, 15 minutes)
  • PSF modeling for DECam (Roodman, 12 minutes)
  • Optical PSF modeling for HSC (Meyers, 12 minutes)

Please contact Josh Meyers (jmeyers314@gmail.com) if you'd like to present work during this session.

RECEPTION

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

RECEPTION
Torquoise Foyer

The reception this year will be two hours long from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. One hour with food and one additional hour with live music with a local band, The Lobros.

Reception menu:

Western BBQ Station
BBQ Beef Sliders topped with Coleslaw
Grilled Veggie Kabobs – Portobello  Mushrooms, Spinach, Peppers, Squash
BBQ Riblets
Macaroni & Cheese
Watermelon Wedges
1 (one) drink included

Science Communication and Media Training

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: abauer

Whether it is across a collaboration, at a conference, to the media, or to your friend, making your story and your work understandable to others is important in achieving your goals. Communicating complex ideas does not come naturally to everyone, but is a skill that can be developed with a few basic tips and a little practice.

AGENDA

  • Greetings, introductions, motivation (5 min)
  • Audience Poll (5 min): "Imagine you have been asked to be interviewed by media about something you are working on. What is important to you about your interaction with the media?"
  • Debrief on Poll results (5 min)
  • Amanda presents material (tips and tricks) on Science Communication and Media Training (30 min)
  • Group activity doing partnered mock interviews of each other (10 min)
  • Moderated Mock Interview (10 min)
  • Group Reflections/Discussion (15 min)

 

For questions or suggestions or contributions, please contact the Head of EPO Amanda Bauer, abauer@lsst.org @astropixie

Sensor Characterization, Analysis and Simulation

  • Posted on: 15 May 2018
  • By: Cwalter

A cross working group session with members from the Camera, Simulation, DM, and DESC sensor groups to discuss the status of the current status of understanding, simulating and analysis of data from the science sensors.  Tuesday 11:00 Presidio I. Bluejeans: 279 099 131.

- Intro - Chris W. (5’)

- Overview of the focal plane construction status with a focus on sensors - Steve R. - (10’)

Sensor measurements and characterization: what we have learned, what there is left to do — and when — and projected relevant characteristics of the remaining rafts.

- Summary of the various Camera information expected from I&T - Aaron  (10’)

What will be produced,  what form will it be provided in,  Discussion (maybe below): how will LSST will store and utilize this information, e.g. the xtalk coefficients

-  Review of the  non-standard sensor effects we have seen/studied on the camera/DESC side  , with the work left to do associated to them ( on the DM / Camera / DESC side ) - Pierre A (10’)

-  Overview  of the signature removal plan/status in DM, and the associated validation plan - Merlin (10’)

-  Documenting/validation of imSim sensor models  - Serge (10’)

-  B-F effect correction as in the Coulton, et.al. paper - Craig (10’)

-  LSST sensor characterization study updates - Bela / Emily (10’)

Work at SLAC on overscan/bias and BF.

- Discussion - How can we effectively work together and transfer information between the camera, DM and simulation teams efficiently (20’)

Software Pathfinders and Integration

  • Posted on: 18 May 2018
  • By: rgill

The main purpose is to check on the set of pathfinder tests to make sure it is optimized and meets everyone’s schedules and needs.

StoryTime-Domain Day 1

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: abauer

SIGN UP NOW!

 

What is StoryTime Domain?

It's a place to tell YOUR story in an informal setting. We will have a video booth set up at LSST 2018 on Wednesday, Aug. 15 and Thursday, Aug. 16; we invite you to sign up for a 15-minute time-slot to speak with us.

What will happen there?

You can choose to answer prompt questions, or just tell a story about your work on LSST or in LSST-related science. You can also bring a small object that has meaning for you, and is relevant to your work with LSST or your science field.

Why are we doing this?

Not everyone's work is in the spotlight, but everyone's work is important to the success of LSST. We want to highlight the real people contributing to LSST in different ways, in the U.S.,Chile, and all around the world. We're also thinking about the big picture; science storytelling gets the public excited about supporting scientific projects, and can inspire young people to pursue careers in STEM.

How will these videos be used?

Video stories collected will be archived in the LSST Project's documentation collection. The footage:

Will be edited for use in LSST's Education and Public Outreach (EPO) program
May be featured on the LSST Education Website
May be shared on LSST social media channels
May be used in videos created for classrooms
May be made available to planetariums and informal science centers

Questions we will use as prompts (You can also bring in an artifact and describe how it relates to your work with LSST)

  • Who or what influenced you to pursue the career you have now?
  • What first brought you to LSST?
  • What part of your work makes you feel proud?
  • What part of your work challenges you the most?
  • If you were asked to give career advice to a class of middle-schoolers (13-year-olds), what would you tell them?
  • What do you like to do when you’re not working?

Please contact Kristen Metzger, LSST EPO Science Writer, at kmetzger@lsst.org with questions.

SIGN UP NOW!

StoryTime-Domain Day 2

  • Posted on: 25 July 2018
  • By: abauer

SIGN UP NOW!

 

What is StoryTime Domain?

It's a place to tell YOUR story in an informal setting. We will have a video booth set up at LSST 2018 on Wednesday, Aug. 15 and Thursday, Aug. 16; we invite you to sign up for a 15-minute time-slot to speak with us.

What will happen there?

You can choose to answer prompt questions from a list, or just tell a story about your work on LSST or in LSST-related science. You can also bring a small object that has meaning for you, and is relevant to your work with LSST or your science field.

Why are we doing this?

Not everyone's work is in the spotlight, but everyone's work is important to the success of LSST. We want to highlight the real people contributing to LSST in different ways, in the U.S.,Chile, and all around the world. We're also thinking about the big picture; science storytelling gets the public excited about supporting scientific projects, and can inspire young people to pursue careers in STEM.

How will these videos be used?

Video stories collected will be archived in the LSST Project's documentation collection. The footage:

Will be edited for use in LSST's Education and Public Outreach (EPO) program
May be featured on the LSST Education Website
May be shared on LSST social media channels
May be used in videos created for classrooms
May be made available to planetariums and informal science centers

Questions you can use as prompts

  • Describe a struggle or challenge you faced during your work on LSST, and how you solved it.
  • Bring in an artifact and tell us how it relates to your work.
  • What's a creative way you solved a problem?
  • What are you passionate about?
  • What brings you to work?
  • Why do you believe in LSST?
  • What or who influenced you to pursue a career in astronomy/engineering/etc?
  • What celestial object do you most identify with?
  • What do you do for fun when you're not building a telescope/doing astronomy/playing with data, etc.?
  • Tell a funny story.

Please contact Kristen Metzger, LSST EPO Science Writer, at kmetzger@lsst.org with questions.

Summer Interns - Introduction to Themes of LSST2018

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: pburchat

In this session, the ~20 summer interns attending the meeting will learn some essentials that will help them get the most out of the workshop.

Agenda:

  • What are the components of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope project, the "science drivers", and the stages of development (construction, commissioning, operation)?
  • What is "blending" and why is it an issue?
  • What is "survey strategy"?

Summer Interns - Machine Learning in Astronomy

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: gtr

Summer Interns - Machine Learning in Astronomy

This session will be a broad introduction to the topic of "Machine Learning" for the Summer Intern program.   You will be introduced to the Data Camp (datacamp.com) environment, which will allow you to leverage what you learn in this brief session. 

Please contact Gordon Richards (gtr at physics.drexel.edu) for more information about this session.

Useful reference for after this session include:

Jake VanderPlas' "Python Data Science Handbook":
http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/github/jakevdp/WhirlwindTourOfPython/blob/master/Index.ipynb

Zeljko Ivezic's machine learning class:
https://github.com/uw-astr-324-s18/astr-324-s18/

David Kirkby's machine learning class
https://nbviewer.jupyter.org/format/slides/github/Asterics2020-Obelics/School2018/blob/master/machinelearning/Contents.ipynb#/

Summit Base ITC Design

  • Posted on: 13 May 2018
  • By: jkantor

The Summit Base complex includes two computer rooms, networks, and associated lab and work areas with components provided by all LSST subsystems. Since early 2017, the Summit Base ITC Design Tiger Team has been working on cross-subsystem requirements and an integrated design to ensure that the complex ITC achieves sensible hardware and system software standardization, consistent and robust cybersecurity, and a common DevOps-based approach to configuration management. The primary documentation of this design is in the following baselined documents: LSE-309 Summit Base ITC Design Document LSE-239 Base Data Center Requirements LSE-299 Summit Computer Room Requirements This session will provide an overview of the requirements and design and identify areas of ongoing and future work. 

AGENDA AND PRESENTERS

Contents of LSE-309 Kian-Tat Lim (Summit, Base networks Luis Corral)
Contents of LSE-239 Kian-Tat Lim
Contents of LSE-299, Test and V&V plans Jeff Kantor
Contents of LSE-78 Ron Lambert (Jeff Kantor will present)
IT Team and IT Related Meetings Jeff Kantor
Relationships to Pathfinders, Early Integration, Commissioning Tony Johnson
DevOps, Infrastructure configuration, service delivery requirements Andres Villalobos
Schedule/inventory of occupancy and machines to summit and to base - workshop (all subsystems) Andres Villalobos

Supermassive Black Hole Science with the LSST

  • Posted on: 3 May 2018
  • By: Niel Brandt

LSST will enable studies of the growing supermassive black holes (SMBHs) in active galactic nuclei (AGNs) on a truly massive scale - LSST plus multiwavelength data should allow the selection of tens of millions of AGNs. LSST will also provide unmatched source statistics on transient SMBH phenomena including stellar tidal disruptions, strong gravitational microlensing events, blazar flares, changing-look sources, and accretion-disk instabilities. This session will discuss these science prospects and promote planning for them with connections to the AGN Science Collaboration, the Galaxies Science Collaboration, the Transients Science Collaboration, Informatics and Statistics, and the Project. Some specific example topics for discussion will include the following: * LSST plus multiwavelength AGN selection and expected AGN yields * Optimizing AGN science in the LSST Deep Drilling Fields, and needed work on white papers on LSST cadence optimization * What are the most relevant data-mining projects that can be executed currently to prepare for LSST? * What improvements and updates are needed to the LSST AGN Science Collaboration Roadmap? * Current and planned activities of the LSST AGN Science Collaboration and other relevant collaborations * How can international resources best be pooled to follow-up the flood of LSST AGNs.

11:00-11:05 Welcome, Overview, and Activities of the AGN SC - W.N. Brandt
11:05-11:20 AGN Selection Opportunities and Challenges with the LSST - Jan-Torge Schindler
11:25-11:40 Three New z ~ 7 Quasars from DES and the Future of Quasar Surveys with LSST - Sophie Reed
11:45-12:00 Strongly Lensed AGNs: LSST Science Expectations and Cadence Needs - Timo Anguita
12:05-12:20 Needed Data-Mining to Prepare for LSST AGN Science and Chilean AGN Follow-Up Capabilities - Franz Bauer

5 min question time between talks.

Session Organizers: W.N. Brandt (Chair), Franz Bauer, Gordon Richards, Michael Strauss

Survey Options 1 Exposure Times and Visit Counts

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: sridgway

Standard visits:The baseline assumption for the number of images per visit has for a long time been 2 (each of 15 seconds), motivated by the need to have 2 visits to detect and suppress cosmic rays. There have been rumors that this might be changed to 1 image per visit. If this option is under consideration, it would be valuable to have the case for a change presented and documented, with an opportunity for the community to review the tradeoffs. For example, it has been unclear whether or not image changes between the two snapshots during a visit could be compared for extraction of time variability information. Discussion could bring out interesting considerations.

Non-standard visits: Considerations of detector read noise have shown that u depth could be somewhat improved with longer u-band exposures. Several science cases favor greater depth in u. Of course, for equal total exposure time, deeper u-band exposures trades against total number of u-band exposures. It would be valuable to have the case for longer u-band exposures (with the trades) presented for discussion with respect to the science disciplines impacted.

Survey Uniformity in single stacked images: observing conditions will be highly variable - whta steps can/should be taken to provide uniform dataa quality across the sky?  For example, a possibility is Variable Exposure Time: It is perfectly feasible to employ variable exposure times for LSST visits, in order to equalize the depths of visits. This trades against the total number of visits. Of course, depth is only one parameter of a visit, with image PSF also of great importance.

Trading survey area against numbr of visits: While the number of LSST visits per field is broadly constrained by the key science cases, it is still an adjustable parameter available for optimization of the science program. It has been suggested that some high priority science would benefit from an increase in the total survey area, with a corresponding decrease in the total number of visits per field. it would be valuable to hear from proponents of such an increase in total survey area, with review of relevant simulations, and discussion of the impact of the implied compromises.

Please contact Steve Ridgway (ridgway@noao.edu) if you would like to contribute or suggest additional topics.

 

Owing to conflicts, participants may come and go, and the agenda topics, and contributions, may blur over both sessions.  

Contributors identified so far:

DESC cadence needs (Dan Scolnic, Humna Awan)
1 vs 2 image visits (Chris Stubbs)
Strong Lensing (Phil Marshall, Aprajita Verma, ....)
Galaxies (Eric Gawiser)
Simulations for cadence options (Lynn Jones, Owen Boberg, Tiago Ribiero)
Rolling cadences (Peter Yoachim)
Solar system cadences (David Trilling, Henry Hsieh)
AGN (Gordon Richards, Neil Brandt)
Intelligent exposures, dithering (Tony Tyson)
Dwarf galaxy cadence needs (Steve Ridgway)
SN cosmology (Renée Hlozek, Nicolas Regnault)
Comments (Robert Lupton)

Survey Options 2 Cadence and Dithering

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: sridgway

Rolling cadences: It is well-understood that the LSST uniform cadences, as illustrated by benchmark schedule simulations presented at recent annual meetings, have substantial gaps between visits in the same filter, and for most visits will not obtain contemporaneous colors for transient targets.  Several groups have thought about what modifications to the uniform cadences might benefit particular science objectives. A particularly often mentioned scheduling option is the rolling cadence, whereby some (or all) parts of the sky are visited with a higher frequency during certain prescribed intervals, at the expense of longer gaps at other intervals. However, a rolling cadence prescription may have many parameters. It can be hoped that LSST will have an interesting variety of rolling cadence simulations by the time of LSST-2018. This would be a timely opportunity for in-depth review of rolling cadence options.

Dithering: Dithering of visits is widely assumed to be a feature of the LSST survey. Beyond that assumption, there is little concurrence on the characteristics of that dithering. Small amplitude dithering may be most convenient for reducing detector systematics while controlling revisit intervals, whereas large amplitude dithering may best support suppression of imaging systematics. Dithering promotes uniformity of stacked imagery, but substantially complicates positive control of that uniformity. This topic would benefit from presentation of several distinct dithering options to a discriminating audience.

The length of the cadence "season": some cadence objectives, such as shorter visit gaps and lower airmass visits, naturally tend to shorten the length of the observing season on a per target basis, possibly to the detriment of some science.

Please contact Steve Ridgway (ridgway@noao.edu) if you would like to contribute or add topics.

 

Owing to conflicts, participants may come and go, and the agenda topics, and contributions, may blur over both sessions.  

Contributors identified so far:

DESC cadence needs (Dan Scolnic, Humna Awan)
1 vs 2 image visits (Chris Stubbs)
Strong Lensing (Phil Marshall, Aprajita Verma, ....)
Galaxies (Eric Gawiser)
Simulations for cadence options (Lynn Jones, Owen Boberg, Tiago Ribiero)
Rolling cadences (Peter Yoachim)
Solar system cadences (David Trilling, Henry Hsieh)
AGN (Gordon Richards, Neil Brandt)
Intelligent exposures, dithering (Tony Tyson)
Dwarf galaxy cadence needs (Steve Ridgway)
SN cosmology (Renée Hlozek, Nicolas Regnault)
Comments (Robert Lupton)

Survey strategy and Scheduler

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: tribeiro

Session to discuss the status of, and development plans for the LSST Scheduler, with emphasis on the new more flexible algorithms such as the so-called "feature-based scheduler".

Agenda:

  • Current status
  • Scheduler design overview
  • Discuss outstanding issues regarding the scheduler since the design review (and plans for scheduler, such as refactor – and timelines!).
  • Discuss use-cases for commissioning, AuxTel and main telescope, and commissioning mini-surveys.

Please contact Tiago Ribeiro (tribeiro at lsst.org) if you would like to contribute.

Twitter: @t_ribeiro

T&S Subsystem Verification Status

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: aserio

Report on the status of T&S subsystem verification efforts: - Requirements (Andrew) - Mechanical Interfaces (John A.) - Electrical Interfaces (Oliver W.) - Software Interfaces (Andrew)

Telescope & Site Software Testing

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: rbovill

An overview of the tools and techniques used by the T&S Software Test team. A description of the testing currently in progress and goals for future testing.

Please contact Rob Bovill (rbovill@lsst.org) if you plan to attend or would like to contribute.

Time-Domain Spectroscopic Observatory

  • Posted on: 27 April 2018
  • By: jgrindlay

A study for a "Probe"-class NASA mission concept, the Time-domain Spectroscopic Observatory (TSO), is being developed for the upcoming Astro2020 Decadal Survey. TSO would be a ~1.5m optical-IR (0.4um - 5um) imaging and spectroscopic telescope, radiatively cooled (110K) and in Geosynch orbit over LSST. This 1.5-hour Session will present the TSO concept and stimulate discussion of how the highest priority LSST variables and transients can be studied with a synergistic space telescope devoted to rapid imaging and spectroscopy extending to the mid-IR. The rapid-slew (<5min) capability to targets over 80% (!) of the sky (>30o from Earth, Sun and Moon) and cold mirror enable imaging and spectroscopy sensitivities not possible from the ground: for 30, 3000 sec exposures, imaging reaches 10sigma significance magnitudes of AB = 22.3, 26 and spectroscopy with resolution R = 200 reaches AB = 18.4, 23 over the full 0.4 - 5um band. Key science objectives include high-z Gamma-Ray Bursts, which will measure massive star formation and the Epoch of Reionization over redshifts z > 8 - 12, and Reverberation Mapping of AGN using Hbeta emission line spectroscopy combined with LSST continuum flaring to measure SMBH masses out to z = 8. A few TSO slides are uploaded here to encourage you to come and learn more about this exciting opportunity to extend LSST Time Domain Astronomy with both spectroscopy and extension(s) into the mid-IR.  Please contribute your own ideas for what such a unique spectroscopy and IR capability could do for your LSST science!

PLEASE let me (Josh Grindlay, jgrindlay@cfa.harvard.edu) know if you would like to show a few slides and/or contribute to any of the 4 Discussion sections listed below. NOW is the time to push for near real-time spectroscopy for LSST; please let us know your science interests!

TSO Session Agenda:

9:00am Session Introduction: Zeljko Ivezic (U. Washington) & Josh Grindlay (Harvard)

9:10  Overview of TSO:  Josh Grindlay

9:30 Discussion and short presentations on TSO science for LSST. What should be added?

9:45 Discussion and short presentations on TSO instrumentation. Is the current focal plane design optimized for your Science goals?

10:00 Discussion and short presentations on prioritization of LSST alerts. GRB alerts will come from Swift (and more advanced future missions, e.g. 4piXIO?). How are the MOST urgent LSST transient alerts to be extracted from near-real time LSST data? 

10:15 Discussion of how to implement TSO Key Science with a GI program. Variability studies and particular classes of Transient searches can be proposed as GI programs. What others are "natural" for the joint LSST-TSO capabilities? What about coordinated X-ray (Athena, Lynx) or gamma-ray (Fermi or CTA) observations with TSO/LSST ?

10:30  Session close

 

 

 

UNCONFERENCE

  • Posted on: 19 June 2018
  • By: admin

UNCONFERENCE
Likely

Upcoming DM middleware: “Generation 3” Butler and PipelineTask

  • Posted on: 11 May 2018
  • By: swinbank

The development of new data access middleware (the “Generation 3” Data Butler”) and workflow description abstraction (PipelineTask, formerly known as SuperTask) has been making rapid progress for some time. Over the next several months, more and more of this work will filter down to regular pipeline deployments, until ultimately the old middleware can be retired.

In this session, Jim Bosch will give an overview of the key concepts and then DM middleware developers will be available to field questions and walk through examples of the new capabilities and transition plan.

This session is intended to be of interest to DM Science Pipelines developers or others who are regularly writing algorithmic code in the LSST framework.

Verification Software Tooling 1

  • Posted on: 7 August 2018
  • By: aroberts

This session will provide an overview of the software tooling developed and customized for the needs of the LSST verification program, which is available to subsystems and Project Systems Engineering alike. The session will review the integrated capabilities of MagicDraw, Syndeia, and JIRA Adaptivist Test Management. Together, they form an end-to-end verification suite.

The demo will be repeated in Verification Software Tooling 2 on Thursday at 3:30.

Verification Software Tooling 2

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: bselvy

This session will provide an overview of the software tooling developed and customized for the needs of the LSST verification program, which is available to subsystems and Project Systems Engineering alike. The session will review the integrated capabilities of MagicDraw, Syndeia, and JIRA Adaptivist Test Management. Together, they form an end-to-end verification suite.

The demo is a repeat of Verification Software Tooling 1 on Tuesday at 11:00 AM.

Visualization Tools for Analysis and Commissioning

  • Posted on: 14 May 2018
  • By: Cwalter

The LSST science community is now actively looking at simulated and re-processed data. This session will introduce the community to existing visualization tools that will be used in commissioning and to look at data in the LSST Science Platform and offline. From firefly, to ds9, to tools like afw_display, in this session we will get an overview of the tools we have now, and talk about tools that might be useful for the future. 

Agenda:

Demonstrations: 

- The python graphics suite [see http://pyviz.org]
- Interactive tools for large datasets (bokeh / holoviews / datashader) see link to notebook.
- The Firefly display program [ see XXX]
- Exposure checker, Sky map and DES telemetery (see slides from Alex DW below)

Then, we will open the floor to community members to either show us useful visualizations or sketch out needs on paper.

Other demos included Grafana for ZTF by Andy C. and the Camera telemetry display from SLAC I&T by Tony J.