What would you like more information on?
Please select in the left-hand menu.
You have indicated that you will be on short term assignment in Chile for more than 30 days but less than 6 months (180 days). General information about traveling to Chile can also be found by clicking on the links on our travel pages.
The first step will be for you to create a Travel Request (TR).
- Temporary lodging will be paid for by LSST, including utilities and internet.
- LSST admin will provide assistance in finding suitable lodging.
- Don’t work for AURA? No problem, AURA will bill your institute for your stay.
- You will need to sign a damage waiver, indicating that you are financially responsible for any damage caused.
- Round trip flights for personnel only at beginning and end of assignment*
- 3 Pieces of luggage
- Car rental covered – may be an AURA fleet car or commercial rental
- Gas used to travel to and from the office or for personal travel is not reimbursable
- You can drive on your existing driving licence
- *You may need to make trips back to the US to attend the Joint Technical meeting and/or the Project and Community Workshop (All Hands)
- *If you will be driving to the Summit you are required to take the Litmos training module “Road safety on the summit”
- Current per diem rate for La Serena
- First 30 days receive 100% of the daily rate.
- From day 31 receive 75% of the daily rate.
- Travel Expense Report (TER) should be submitted monthly.
- If you will be travelling to another location during your short-term assignment period, on a separate Travel Request (TR), ask the LSST Project office for the Meals and Incidentals (M&IE) tracker spreadsheet. It will help you to keep track of which TR your M&IE will come from and will help LSST maintain compliance.
- Cigna will remain your provider for medical coverage.
- Providers in Chile will be out of network.
- The standard foreign travel accident and sickness policy from AIG will also apply--includes your spouse and dependents.
- Dental coverage will remain unchanged; if dental assistance is needed while in Chile it will be considered "out of network." You can file for reimbursement from the insurer.
- 90 day tourist visa
- 1 renewal of a 90 day tourist visa
- 90 day tourist visa
- Work permit of 30 days x 3
- Renew as above for another 90 days
- Provide in advance of trip:
- Copy of passport
- Professional training
- Current travel plans
- Job activity to be performed in Chile
If you leave during the 90 days, upon your return a new tourist visa will be issued, and you will need to apply for a new work permit.
More details are available here.
LSST is unable to make any provisions for your spouse or dependents.
- There will be no change to your tax status in the US.
- You will not be liable for income tax in Chile.
- Working space will be provided at the AURA recinto or at the summit as needed.
- To connect to the internet you will need to register your MAC address with CISS. Prior to your arrival complete the form on the CTIO page to request MAC addresses registration.
- To connect to the wifi in the LSST cafeteria (casino) connect to "pachonLSST" password: 04L$5t-suR.