Rubin2020_PCW slack archives day1-mon-slot2a-intro-to-rubin 2020-07-15---2020-08-13

Wed 2020-07-15 03:06PM
@Ranpal (she/her/hers) has joined the channel
Thu 2020-07-16 01:17PM
@Melissa Graham has joined the channel
Melissa Graham Sun 2020-07-19 06:31PM
@Melissa Graham set the channel topic: Session Webpage:
Melissa Graham Sun 2020-07-19 06:32PM
@Melissa Graham set the channel topic: Link to session webpage (contains Zoom link, agenda, materials):
Melissa Graham Tue 2020-07-21 06:46PM
@Melissa Graham set the channel topic: Chairs: Melissa Graham and Jim Annis
Link to session webpage (contains Zoom link, agenda, materials):
Wed 2020-07-22 11:54AM
@Jeff Carlin has joined the channel
Wed 2020-07-22 12:07PM
@leanne has joined the channel
Thu 2020-07-23 05:34PM
@Jim Annis has joined the channel
Wed 2020-07-29 07:56PM
@Preethi Nair has joined the channel
Thu 2020-07-30 11:43AM
@douglasleetucker has joined the channel
Thu 2020-07-30 08:20PM
@Luis Pineda has joined the channel
Fri 2020-07-31 03:02AM
@Ilaria Musella has joined the channel
Fri 2020-07-31 04:16AM
@M Temple has joined the channel
Fri 2020-07-31 08:30AM
@Robert Szabo has joined the channel
Tue 2020-08-04 02:31PM
@Adam Thornton has joined the channel
Wed 2020-08-05 11:30AM
@Eduardo Gonzalez Solares has joined the channel
Melissa Graham Wed 2020-08-05 03:08PM
@Melissa Graham set the channel topic: Introduction to Rubin: Systems, Jargon, and Acronyms
Chairs: Melissa Graham and Jim Annis
See Zoom link, agenda, slides at:
Thu 2020-08-06 06:07PM
@Kara Ponder has joined the channel
Fri 2020-08-07 10:16AM
@Karen Masters has joined the channel
Sat 2020-08-08 02:32PM
@Michael Solontoi has joined the channel
Sat 2020-08-08 08:31PM
@robertdp has joined the channel
Sat 2020-08-08 09:13PM
@Pankaj Bhambhani has joined the channel
Mon 2020-08-10 12:12AM
@Lauren Corlies has joined the channel
Mon 2020-08-10 03:26AM
@Isidora Jankov has joined the channel
wvanreeven Mon 2020-08-10 01:07PM
Will the zoom link to this session be posted here?
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 01:08PM
I can - and, up in this channel's Topic you can access the session's webpage, which has the links
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 01:08PM password 257500
wvanreeven Mon 2020-08-10 01:08PM
Aah thanks. I was on that page but failed to notice it. I see it now.
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 01:09PM
Yeah they're down at the bottom there... and, for future reference, easy access to all Zoom links can also be found on the .
Chuck Claver Mon 2020-08-10 01:25PM
@Melissa Graham I will be in the breakout - call on me if you need any clarifications.
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 01:25PM
Oh great! Thanks Chuck.
Kathy Vivas Mon 2020-08-10 01:43PM
Question for @Ranpal (she/her/hers) : will the new website you mentioned be integrated with the NOIRLab webpage?
Melissa Brucker (she/her) Mon 2020-08-10 01:47PM
Hi Kathy!
Preethi Nair Mon 2020-08-10 01:47PM
How do the science working groups interact with LSST?
Federica Bianco (she/her/hers) Mon 2020-08-10 01:48PM
@Preethi Nair I will talk about the Science Collabs in a bit
Federica Bianco (she/her/hers) Mon 2020-08-10 01:48PM
in this session
Preethi Nair Mon 2020-08-10 01:48PM
Thanks @Federica Bianco (she/her/hers) !
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 02:10PM
Hi @Melissa Graham . How are the DIASources associated into DIAObjects? What's the association radius?
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:15PM
I see this and will answer it here...
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 02:31PM
Couple of followup questions - no hurry!

Q2 - Will the DIAObject IDs be preserved for the annual data releases?

Q3 - Will the DIAObject IDs be consistent across survey years? (If not, we'll need to make sure that our broker data is properly spatially indexed!)

Many thanks!
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:34PM
I think this Community posts answers 2 and 3 for you:
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:35PM
The part on "DIA Object Identifiers"
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:38PM
Then for your first question, it's not a strict radius but the source association algorithm will be more statistical, associating DIASources into DIAObjects probablistically. I need to find you the right citation for this information.
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 02:44PM
Many thanks! Yes, we will be dealing with alert production, so it looks like AP DIAObjects will not necessarily map to data release DIAObjects (globally unique across all years). Hence we'll need to make sure we are properly spatially indexed. I suspected this anyway, and we do spatially index, but good to see it in writing!

We'd be very interested in seeing that statistical association algorithm!
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:48PM
May I post your question about association to the Data Q&A Category of to make sure the answer is permanently visible? Or, if you use , could you post it there for us?
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 02:48PM
Feel free to post!
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:49PM
:thumbsup: :thankyou: I will later today thanks!
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 02:49PM
Thanks - I don't have an account yet, but I'll sign up!
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 02:52PM
(I see Michael WV asking similar questions!)
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 03:31PM
OK. Created an account now! Will ask the question about association in the Data Q&A area!
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 04:15PM
Oh hey great, thank you for asking it there, that saves me a bit of time! And, welcome to :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 04:29PM
Just browsing this Data Q&A channel... Is there a jargon buster channel? I'm immediately confronted with AP (alert processing?) and DRP (data release processing??). Also - before I post to there, I just wanted to ask you a question about your "Solution" answer to . You start by stating that the DIAObjects will be consistent across data releases, but then state that AP DIAObjects will not be the same as DRP DIAObjects. I guess this makes sense since transient objects (especially supernovae) are of course transient... and there's no need to relate them unless they are very long lived transients (AGNs?). When year 2 starts, we definitely want to know if we've seen this alert before in year 1. Hence will DIAObject IDs in year 2 from alert processing be consistent with DIAObject IDs as curated by our broker during year 1? (Probably doesn't make any sense to do that... Do we even care - since we'll have the data release?) (Apologies for the long-winded response. Maybe it's better if I take this all to the forum.)
Ken Smith Mon 2020-08-10 04:31PM
(Don't worry about answering this - I know you're super busy at the moment! I'll get my thoughts organised for the forum.)
K-T Lim Mon 2020-08-10 04:52PM
Alert Production DIAObjects are a continuous product with no discontinuities at year/DR boundaries. So new DIASources can be associated with DIAObjects from any previous time (although there's a one-year "expiration" if a DIAObject has not had any DIASources associated with it for that amount of time).
Melissa Graham Thu 2020-08-13 05:47PM
Hi @Ken Smith , just returning to some loose ends here.

Is there a jargon buster channel?
There is a Glossary and Acronyms look-up service on the website, here, which might be helpful?

Then, I see that you wanted to know more about Object IDs before posting your question on Community. A brief answer (in addition to @K-T Lim 's response):
- All Prompt Processing DIAObject IDs are unique across the whole 10 year survey.
- All Data Release DIAObject IDs are unique to that data release.

But please feel 100% free to re-ask or ask differently these questions, and/or to make multiple topics in the Data Q&A channel. That would be great!
Ken Smith Thu 2020-08-13 06:12PM
Thanks Melissa! Just one minor addition to that question... Apologies - I never got round to asking it in the community. Is there any relationship at all between DIAObject IDs produced by alert processing and DIAObject IDs in a data release (apart from position)? Even if you answer this, I'll try and remember to ask these questions again in the community for visibility. Great conference, by the way. Have really enjoyed the sessions. (I've been to Zoom meetings with 30+ people and it's been chaos - yet we've had 600+ people and it's been very smooth - even the interactive Zoom sessions with 200+ have worked well.)
K-T Lim Thu 2020-08-13 06:27PM
There is no mathematical relationship between the two sorts of DIAObject IDs. I also do not believe there is a requirement to create a mapping table between the two. Because of the differences in how they are generated, I suspect that there might be multiple ways to do such a mapping depending on the desired science, so this might fall outside Project scope.
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:30PM
Let's thank all our speakers with :clap: !!
Lorena Hernandez Mon 2020-08-10 02:32PM
Luis Pineda Mon 2020-08-10 02:33PM
Thanks all !
Frank Kenney Mon 2020-08-10 02:38PM
@Melissa Graham Sorry if I am missing something but the .pdf of the glossary and terms link in the slide set seem to be a incomplete layout document RTN-004
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:39PM
Oh whoops, we should have mentioned that's a work in progress!!
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:40PM
Once we get the code working, it will be a PDF.
Melissa Graham Mon 2020-08-10 02:40PM
It's a little complicated to read the underlying CSV and auto-generate the PDF. Sorry about that.
Frank Kenney Mon 2020-08-10 02:40PM
Got it
Ranpal (she/her/hers) Tue 2020-08-11 08:30AM
The recording of the live session is here: