All Sessions

Dear LSST 2017 participants,

Thank you all so much for your contributions to proposed sessions and for voting on those sessions to make this YOUR meeting. With the main focus being on commissioning and all the subsystems collaborating and working together, a core set of sessions have been identified as anchors for the meeting, they are listed here.

Draft agenda available here.

PSF Estimation and Interpolation

Thursday 08/17
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Verbena

Our ability to estimate the LSST point spread function impacts everyone's science at some level.  It would be good to discuss PSF estimation, interpolation, and requirements.

Agenda:

  • (10 min) PSF modeling requirements for HSC weak lensing (Rachel Mandelbaum)
  • (10+5 min) Comparing chromatic PSF approaches (Ian Sullivan and Josh Meyers)
  • (10 min) Measuring atmospheric PSF chromaticity with PISCO (Chris Walter)
  • (10 min) PSF factorization into optics+sensors+atmosphere contributions (Josh Meyers)

 

Organizer: 
Joshua Meyers
Suggested Audience: 
Anyone interested in PSFs

New deblending algorithms

Tuesday 08/15
3:30 - 5:00pm
Indigo

LSST will need a highly efficient and reliably deblender. In this session we discuss ongoing development of a new deblending algorithm for the LSST DM stack and alternative approaches from the community, with talks by Yuanyuan Zhang, Harry Ferguson, Peter Melchior, and Fred Moolekamp, followed by a discussion.

Organizer: 
Fred Moolekamp and Peter Melchior

Python3 Upgrade Hack Session

Friday 08/18
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 2

The aim of the session is to bring any and all Python 2 code from across the project and receive help in porting it to Python 3. Specific systems include SAL (core OCS interface library), telescope, site, and camera.

We have some software at NCSA and some in Tucson which is sitll python 2. DM is mainly python3 ready and next year we would like to go completely to python3. In this sessions we would look and and convert existing python2 software to python3. Friday seems a good time for this. 

Organizer: 
O'Mullane, Jenness
Suggested Audience: 
Anyone with Python2 software and coders to help convert to python3.

Developing Science Metrics with MAF

Wednesday 08/16
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Indigo

Developing science metrics with the Metrics Analysis Framework - A working session for the community

The Science Community has been invited to give input to the refinement of LSST's observing strategy, by developing metrics that quantify the science output from any given LSST survey realization.  The Metrics Analysis Framework is the tool used to develop and implement these metrics.  This session will provide the opportunity for experienced users to explore and discuss technical questions related to the ongoing development of science metrics.

Organizer: 
Lynne Jones

T&S Verification Planning Matrix Hack Session

Tuesday 08/15
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 2

This is one of four subsystem verification planning matrix hack sessions (one for each major subsystem).  The purpose of this session is to collaboratively work on filling in additional blanks in LSE-60, LSE-62 and all T&S-related LSE ICDs verification planning matrices.  The goal is to make substantive process towards identifying the verification owner, level, verification method(s), verification requirement (description of verification activities proposed), and success criteria for requirements that have not been addressed previously.

Organizer: 
Brian Selvy
Suggested Audience: 
Systems Engineering (Project-level and T&S) and T&S subject matter experts

The ZTF Alert Stream

Thursday 08/17
11:00am - 12:30pm
Lantana

The Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF) is expected to have first light shortly after the meeting, and to serve a public "LSST-like" stream beginning in ~April 2018.  The alert stream can serve as a useful live precursor for developing brokers and other time-domain tools.  We will describe the ZTF science surveys, the alert contents and formats, and data access from a broker or science user point of view.  We will close with a hands-on demonstration of accessing and filtering the alert stream.

Organizer: 
Eric Bellm

Project Social Event 5:30 - 7:00

Wednesday 08/16
Evening Events
Murphey 1

Project Social event in Murphy I-III

Suggested Audience: 
Project personnel

Data Products for the Solar System

Thursday 08/17
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 2

What data products will the project generate for moving objects (Solar System objects) and how specifically will these be generated? The DPDD lists a set of data products for moving objects but the details for generating some of these parameters are uncertain. The project will fit orbits for all objects, but using what software and what parameters? Will the project ingest orbits calculated by other groups? How will H/G1/G2 be calculated? Will RMS values on H be calculated? Will users be able to generate expected magnitudes at a given time? Will users be able to do forced photometry and/or low SN photometry along the path of an object? What measurements will be taken to estimate deviation from a stellar PSF? Will/how will trail fitting be done?  When will all these data products be available, and to who? Will simulated data be available before commissioning / during / after? How can we understand survey biases and selection effects? 

 

Organizer: 
Lynne Jones
Suggested Audience: 
Solar System Science Collaboration, Data management, Simulations,

Commissioning Planning: FY2018

Monday 08/14
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Verbena

This will be a working session to develop and communicate the work needed in FY2018 to prepare for and support LSST commissioning.  Preparations for LSST Commissioning will experience a significant ramp up in FY2018 including:

  • A CD-2 like review towards the end of calendar 2017 - this will include 2 meetings:
    • ​a technically oriented review of the commissioning plan
    • a programmatically oriented review of the schedule, budgets and resource loading with basis of estimates
  • Detailing Commissining Plan activities to include:
    • Defined entry and exit criteria
    • Internal steps and procedures needed by each activity
    • Allocated verification events to each activity
    • Hazard analysis and critical procedure (e.g lifts) identification
  • Visualization and analysis tool development
  • Simulations of key commissioning activities and procedures
Organizer: 
Chuck Claver
Suggested Audience: 
Commissioning Team Personnel and other interested parties

Commissioning Rehearsals 2

Thursday 08/17
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Grand Ballroom

THIS SESSION WILL NOT BE REMOTELY ACCESSIBLE

Not sure how to organise this but we have discussed an in room simulation of comissioning planning. Perhpas with two or three scenarios. A typical day with everything nominal - same day with some event causing a replan.

The simulations whould investigate and highlight: Who makes which decisions in comissioning, which level deciisons can be made without escalation.  We start the day with a schedule how is that given to all sites ? (is there an agreed single locaiton with the cirrecnt scheule ?) - is there a 15 minute status telcon for all sites ? Who calls and chairs it ?  Is this all included in the As&Rs? How well is this documented in the comissioning plan.

Are commissionng events tied to procedures ? Are actors in the procedures aware of their roles? Where do we keep procedures ? Do we have status displays configured for speicif procedures (to highligh relevent parameters from EFD) ? How are specific tasks communicated, passed on for execution , and executed - who are the actors in each of the steps. How do we keep logs of what was done ..

All of this can be simulated with paper and postits in a few hours session where the main aim would be to understanand the primary roles and responsilbitites and the correcnt communicaiton channels for comissioning.

This may be held in a single room with tables representing the different physical locaitons invovled in LSST comissioning. Workflow may be done using laptops or using paper (the tactile paper may be useful).

We should also have an audience watching the interactions - the audience would be required to stay silent during the simulations but would be required to give feedback when the simulation was "paused" by the moderator. Feedback should note how situations were handled - perhaps suggesting better or more efficient ways of dealing with incidents.

Organizer: 
Chuck Claver and William O'Mullane
Suggested Audience: 
All availble actors from the comissioning plan.

Python3 Upgrade Hack Session

Friday 08/18
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 2

The aim of the session is to bring any and all Python 2 code from across the project and receive help in porting it to Python 3. Specific systems include SAL (core OCS interface library), telescope, site, and camera.

We have some software at NCSA and some in Tucson which is sitll python 2. DM is mainly python3 ready and next year we would like to go completely to python3. In this sessions we would look and and convert existing python2 software to python3. Friday seems a good time for this.

Organizer: 
O'Mullane, Jenness

Plenary - Verification, Validation, and Commissioning – Why it matters

Thursday 08/17
9:00am - 10:30am
Grand Ballroom

Why Verification and Validation Matter (Brian)
What Commissioning Means for Each Subsystem
Commissioning Data Rights

Panel Discussion; Topic: Lessons Learned from Previous Commissioning Efforts and Facilities Operations

 

Refreshments provided upstairs

Monday 08/14
PM Break 3:00pm - 3:30pm
Arizona Foyer

PM break Monday

Suggested Audience: 
All registered attendees

Camera to Top End Assy Integration

Wednesday 08/16
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 2

The integration of the Camera into the Top End Assembly is going to be tricky, and needs to be a collaborative effort between Camera I&T and T&S AI&T.  

Organizer: 
Travis Lange
Suggested Audience: 
Camera I&T, Telescope AI&T

Grab & Go lunch provided upstairs

Friday 08/18
AM Break 10:30am - 11:00am
Arizona Foyer

Grab and go lunch provided

DDFs and mini-surveys

Tuesday 08/15
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Verbena

This is a session on special strategy requirements leading from the Deep-Drilling Fields (DDFs) and Minisurveys (the current basic mini-survey regions are the Northern Ecliptic Spur, Galactic Plane, and South Celestial Cap). As progress is made on figures of merit to scientifically evaluate simulated candidate observing strategies, a wider range of simulated strategies is now needed particularly for these special regions of the survey. This will allow proper exploration of the schedule trade-offs associated with the DDFs and Minisurveys, and to fully explore the scientific feasibility of the many investigations they will enable. The main aim of this session is therefore to inform and provoke members of the community to develop OpSIM proposals for candidate observing strategies for the DDFs and Mini-survey regions.

  • 1:30 ( 10 mins ) -- Introduction (Will Clarkson)
  • 1:40 ( 30 mins ) -- Special Programs (Melissa Graham)
    • Deep Drilling Fields: Policies, plans and opportunities
    • Special Programs, the DM system, and the end user
  • 2:10 ( 30 mins ) -- Minisurveys:
    • The Galactic Plane (Will Clarkson)
    • The Magellanic Clouds and South Celestial Cap (Knut Olsen)
    • The Northern Ecliptic Spur (Lynne Jones)
  • 2:40 (10 mins) -- Asking useful questions: OpSIM grammar and science strategies (Lynne Jones)
  • 2:50 (10 mins) -- Additional discussion, schedule buffer
 
Organizer: 
Clarkson & Gizis

Unconference

Wednesday 08/16
3:30 - 5:00pm
Lantana

Open space to be used for attendee-determined sessions identified during the first part of the week.
Starting 10:30 a.m. Monday, any registered attendee can suggest a session for one of the unconference blocks by posting a title and brief description on the Unconference poster board near the registration desk. Through noon Wednesday, other attendees can add their names to the suggested sessions they are most interested in attending. The sessions with the most “votes” will be assigned to one of the Unconference rooms during the Wednesday 3:30-5:00 p.m. time block.

EPO: branding and content and mockups, Oh My!

Thursday 08/17
3:30 - 5:00pm
Indigo

EPO will be the public face of LSST during operations and will likely be the only connection most people will have to this unprecedented survey.  Scientists, engineers, project members, and affiliates are eager to learn about what this experience will look like and how they can participate in shaping its future.  Join us as our User Experience contractor, Theresa Neil Strategy+Design, guides you through the latest field research, prototypes, and design guides that will serve as the EPO development roadmap for the remainder of construction!

Organizer: 
Amanda Bauer
Suggested Audience: 
Anyone interested in communication, education, outreach, citizen science, broader impacts, or planetariums

Unconference

Wednesday 08/16
3:30 - 5:00pm
Verbena

Open space to be used for attendee-determined sessions identified during the first part of the week.
Starting 10:30 a.m. Monday, any registered attendee can suggest a session for one of the unconference blocks by posting a title and brief description on the Unconference poster board near the registration desk. Through noon Wednesday, other attendees can add their names to the suggested sessions they are most interested in attending. The sessions with the most “votes” will be assigned to one of the Unconference rooms during the Wednesday 3:30-5:00 p.m. time block.

Working in Chile

Wednesday 08/16
3:30 - 5:00pm
Grand Ballroom

LSST is actively putting together a number of resources to assist project members (AURA and affiliates) who will be relocating to Chile for various lengths of time. The primary resource will be AURA relocation and AURA short term assignment documents, which will be the basis for LSST specific policies and resources currently under development. In this session we will share the ideas and plans so far and get feedback as well providing a Q&A forum.

Organizer: 
Victor Krabbendam
Suggested Audience: 
Anyone likely to be working in Chile at some point

Realistic Simulations for Commissioning

Wednesday 08/16
11:00am - 12:30pm
Indigo

The DESC is undergoing a set of ever more complex Data Challenges (DCs). In this session we will discuss the Commissioning team’s simulation needs, and also how the DESC could re-target its future DCs to both help inform the commissioning plans while at the same time preparing the collaboration to successfully analyze early data. How can DESC and the Project work best together to help make Commissioning a success?

Agenda:

Short DC2 / DC3 overview (20')
- Current plans and image simulation tools: Chris Walter.
- Realistic atmosphere and optics options in imSim — Aaron Roodman and Josh Meyers

Short Mini-surveys overviews:  Keith Bechtol (15')
- ComCam mini-surveys
- Full camera science validation mini-surveys 

Commissioning wishlist: Chuck Claver and Bo Xin (15')
- Active optics simulation
- Mini Survey simulations

Discussion: All (40')
- Sky model options
- Needed source types
- External datasets
- Validation 
- Extra simulations for commissioning 
- Etc….
- Useful input: DM timeline of functionality - DM Member

 

Organizer: 
Chris Walter
Suggested Audience: 
DESC, and Commissioning team members and other interested parties.

Unconference

Wednesday 08/16
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 2

Open space to be used for attendee-determined sessions identified during the first part of the week.
Starting 10:30 a.m. Monday, any registered attendee can suggest a session for one of the unconference blocks by posting a title and brief description on the Unconference poster board near the registration desk. Through noon Wednesday, other attendees can add their names to the suggested sessions they are most interested in attending. The sessions with the most “votes” will be assigned to one of the Unconference rooms during the Wednesday 3:30-5:00 p.m. time block.

AP Verification Metrics: What do you care about?

Thursday 08/17
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 1

As we build and improve the Alert Production (AP) Minimum Viable System, we will track various metrics using the new Verification Framework to assess how well it is working. These include both performance-related metrics (e.g., how long does each piece take to run) and science-related metrics (e.g., how many false positive sources are found).

This session will begin with a brief overview of the current state of the AP Minimum Viable System and then open for a discussion about what YOU think we should be tracking to verify the AP pipeline is working well. We'll also discuss priorities for future development in the context of improvements planned across the DM stack.

Organizer: 
Meredith Rawls, Eric Bellm

Buffet lunch provided upstairs

Monday 08/14
Tuesday 08/15
Wednesday 08/16
Thursday 08/17
Lunch 12:30pm - 1:30pm
Canyon II/IV

Lunch

Summit-Base Tiger Team and IT Services Committee Results

Monday 08/14
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Lantana

Report on accomplishments and what remains

Organizer: 
Jeff Kantor
Suggested Audience: 
People interested in the accomplishments and what remains regarding Summit-Base interactions and IT services

Unconference

Wednesday 08/16
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 1

Open space to be used for attendee-determined sessions identified during the first part of the week.
Starting 10:30 a.m. Monday, any registered attendee can suggest a session for one of the unconference blocks by posting a title and brief description on the Unconference poster board near the registration desk. Through noon Wednesday, other attendees can add their names to the suggested sessions they are most interested in attending. The sessions with the most “votes” will be assigned to one of the Unconference rooms during the Wednesday 3:30-5:00 p.m. time block.

Communication Coordination

Tuesday 08/15
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 1

In this working session, the communication teams from (at least) SLAC, IN2P3, and the LSSTPO will meet to coordinate events for the next year and beyond.  We'll review the top level milestones for the project, decide which events will be publicized, by whom, and how.  In describing how our teams currently work individually, we'll look for way to collaborate and leverage our efforts.

In addition, the draft LSST Strategic Plan for Communications will be discussed.  This work in progress documents communications goals for LSST during construction and into operations for our many audiences which include:  internal workforce, stakeholders (funding agencies), general public, institutional members and international contributors, and the media.  

SLAC Communications Presentation

IN2P3 Communications Presentation

LSST Communication Coordination

Organizer: 
Suzanne Jacoby
Suggested Audience: 
EPO and Communications people, project leadership, NSF/DOE representatives

Camera Monitoring & Diagnostic Cluster

Tuesday 08/15
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Lantana

The Camera includes a Diagnostic Cluster, located at the summit, to monitor the Camera's operation & performance. In addition to monitoring the Camera's performance per-se, the Diagnostic Cluster will also be able to monitor basic characteristics of the images & observing conditions.  At this session, the Camera team will present its baseline plans for the Diagnostic Cluster monitoring and we propose that the session be used to coordinate these plans with both DM and Telescope team members.   A primary goal for the session would be to have agreement on the scope of  Diagnostic Cluster monitoring using the images themselves.   Another goal is to collect ideas for additional monitoring that would be appropriate for the Camera Diagnostic Cluster. We hope that this discussion will be also be relevant for Commissioning & Operation planning. 

 

Draft Agenda:

1) Tony Johnson: Camera Data Analysis using Diagnostic Cluster on Summit

2) Aaron Roodman: Examples from DECam

3) Discussion

Organizer: 
Tony Johnson & Aaron Roodman
Suggested Audience: 
LSST members interested in Camera monitoring & realtime monitoring at the summit

Reception & Group Photo 6-7pm (menu)

Tuesday 08/15
Evening Events
Arizona Foyer

6-7pm Arizona Deck and Foyer

Music (classical guitar)
provided by: Eduardo Minozzi Costa

CRUDITÉS

Display of Crisp and Blanched Garden Vegetables
Buttermilk Ranch and Caramelized Onion Dip
Toasted Pita Chips and Crostini
Creamy Hummus and Tapenade 

TASTE OF TUCSON

Action Station – Chef Attendant

Pulled Pork Soft Tacos | Prickly Pear Barbecue Sauce, Granny Smith Apple Cabbage Slaw
Sautéed Shrimp | Orange Coriander Cream and Bacon, Roasted Pineapple Compote
Blonde Rice and Refried Beans
Flour and Corn Tortillas

DELUXE NACHO BAR

Stone Ground Tortilla Chips | Queso Asedro
Seasoned Beef, Adobo Chicken
Cumin Scented Black Beans, Refried Beans, Cheddar Cheese, Pepper Jack Cheese, Diced Tomatoes, Pickled Jalapenos, Sour Cream, Roasted Tomato Salsa, Guacamole

HOSTED BAR

Beer, wine, soft drinks

 

CANCELLED - EPO Verification Planning Matrix Hack Session

Wednesday 08/16
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 2

Per organizer's request.

This is one of four subsystem verification planning matrix hack sessions (one for each major subsystem).  The purpose of this session is to collaboratively work on filling in additional blanks in LSE-89 and LSE-131.   The goal is to make substantive process towards identifying the verification owner, level, verification method(s), verification requirement (description of verification activities proposed), and success criteria for requirements that have not been addressed previously.

Organizer: 
Brian Selvy
Suggested Audience: 
Systems Engineers (Project-level and EPO) and EPO subject-matter experts. Desired - one representative from DM for EPO-131

Plenary: LSST-WFIRST Connection; Simulated Observing Strategies/Cadence Optimization

Tuesday 08/15
9:00am - 10:30am
Grand Ballroom

The LSST-WFIRST Connection

In an era following the launch of JWST, the "New Worlds, New Horizons" Astronomy and Astrophysics 2010 Decadal Survey outlined a  vision for the US to usher in a new era of "Big Data Astrophysics".  The pillars of this program are two incredibly complementary survey telescopes, LSST on the ground and WFIRST in space.  While each of these programs stand on their own merits, it is broadly recognized that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts (e.g., Jain et al. 2015, arXiv:1501.07897).  In this presentation, I'll introduce the complementarity of these amazing programs and specifically discuss the ways that strategic use of WFIRST can enhance the scientific return from LSST as outlined in the newly released LSST Cadence white paper.  WFIRST offers a 0.28 sq deg field of view (100x HST’s visible cameras) with 0.1 arcsec pixels, and point-source sensitivities of up to 28th ABmag in 1 hour of integration (across 0.6 to 2.0 micron wavelengths).  Focusing on broad astrophysics, the presentation will include topics stretching from Solar System science goals, exoplanets, stellar and galactic astrophysics, and cosmology, as well as unique opportunities through deep drilling fields and special programs.  The goal of the presentation is to spark coordinated conversations between LSST and WFIRST science teams and advisory bodies to maximize the joint return from both programs.

Simulated Observing Strategies and Cadence Optimization

This session will provide an overview of the state of LSST Observing Strategy simulations, community analysis of these simulations, and the planned timeline and process for continuing community input.  This will include a presentation of plans to solicit community white papers on Deep Drilling Fields and Mini-Surveys.  Other possible topics for discussion include rolling cadence implementation, survey uniformity, simulations of survey conditions, and optimization algorithms. This session will include a presentation by Zeljko Ivezic, and the opportunity for discussion.

Organizer: 
Jason Kalirai & Zeljko Ivezic
Suggested Audience: 
Everyone wanting to do science with LSST

Update on Butler, Camera Mapping, SuperTask

Wednesday 08/16
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 1

Present an overview of recent and planned changes to the Butler, Camera Mapper, and (if relevant) persistence. (Nate Pease - 1 hour)

Present the current design of SuperTask and a timeline for implementation. (Gregory Dubois-Felsmann - 30 minutes)

Organizer: 
Pease, Dubois-Felsmann
Suggested Audience: 
Data management and middleware

Maintenance & Access Use Cases for the Camera and Telescope

Thursday 08/17
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 1

Review use cases for telescope and camera maintenance and how they relate (access needs, lock-out needs, time estimates).

Walk through use cases to identify cross-subsystem activities needed to support various use cases, especially as related to camera maintenance

Discuss maintenance activity durations for the more common activities

Organizer: 
Martin Nordby & Kevin Reil
Suggested Audience: 
Telescope and camera engineers, system engineering

Registration Begins

Monday 08/14
10:30am

10:30 AM

Suggested Audience: 
All

Unconference

Wednesday 08/16
3:30 - 5:00pm
Indigo

Open space to be used for attendee-determined sessions identified during the first part of the week.
Starting 10:30 a.m. Monday, any registered attendee can suggest a session for one of the unconference blocks by posting a title and brief description on the Unconference poster board near the registration desk. Through noon Wednesday, other attendees can add their names to the suggested sessions they are most interested in attending. The sessions with the most “votes” will be assigned to one of the Unconference rooms during the Wednesday 3:30-5:00 p.m. time block.

Dark Matter Science with LSST

Wednesday 08/16
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Verbena

Originally called the "Dark Matter Telescope", LSST will enable field revolutionizing studies of numerous probes of dark matter.  This session will build on the groundwork laid in a recent Dark Energy Science Collaboration Hack Day, that began collecting and exploring the potential impact of LSST in dark matter science. See http://ls.st/wqv for a summary table of probes that span from the Milky Way neighborhood to cosmological distances.  With a look ahead at an LSSTC funded, follow-up workshop to take place in late 2017/early 2018, this session will examine the outcomes of the recent hack day and aims to attract a broader set of science community members in the next steps to prepare for dark matter science with LSST.

 

Pre-meeting References

 

Agenda

  • Introductory Remarks and Summary of DESC Effort; Will Dawson (10 min)
  • Strong Lensing Constraints on Dark Matter; Nicola Napolitano (10 min)
  • Milky and Local Volume Constraints on Dark Matter; Keith Bechtol (10 min)
  • Transients/Variable Constraints on Dark Matter; Will Dawson (10 min)
  • Discussion (50 minutes)
    • Are there any probes not currently identified?
    • How should the dark matter effort be organized? For example, should it be rolled into the Dark Energy Science Collaboration, its own collaboration, or just a loose network.
    • Identify areas of complementarity between various dark matter probes and other existing/planned LSST efforts.
    • Discuss plans for a dark matter science report
    • Identify possible means of support
    • etc.
 
Organizer: 
W Dawson

Workflow Engines: Synergy between Collaborations and Project

Thursday 08/17
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 2

Workflow Engines: DESC and the LSST Project have a mutual interest in workflow engines for running pipelines, both DM stack and science, at scale - but they have different needs regarding the computing architectures they need to run on. We’d like to discuss workflow engine strategy, and explore the possibilities of using the same tools. DESC is already running large production runs, and so the Project may be able to learn from this.

Draft agenda:

  •  intro etc - Richard Dubois
  •  DESC DC1 workflows experiences- Tom Glanzman (PhoSim)/Jim Chiang (ImSim)/Tony Johnson (DM L1/L2)
  •  DESC analysis pipeline designs (in progress) - Katrin Heitmann
  •  Progress with Pegasus at NERSC - Tom Glanzman
  •  NCSA workflow engine plans - Pegasus, DESDM - Michelle Gower, Hsin-Fang Chiang
  • DM plans for SuperTask et al - Jim Bosch
 
And we want to leave a goodly bit of time for discussion in our 90' slot.
Organizer: 
Richard Dubois
Suggested Audience: 
DESC, DM

Refreshments provided downstairs

Tuesday 08/15
Wednesday 08/16
Thursday 08/17
AM Break 10:30am - 11:00am
Terrace Level Foyer

Break

Data Faclity Implementation

Thursday 08/17
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Lantana

The breakout walks though the construction plans and deliverables leading to the LSST data facility, and plans and issues for the commissioning and early operations periods.

For: People representing opbervatory operations, especialy from the point of

view of integration point with the OCS system.
People represting IT staff at the Observatory.
People interested in the US and chilean data access centers.
People writing code that will interface to/ interested in identity manager
of staffa nd end users

Organizer: 
Don Petravick

Trivia 7:30 - 9:00 pm

Wednesday 08/16
Evening Events
Grand Ballroom

Join us for trivia!

Plenary - Hidden Heroes of LSST: A Cross-Section of Contributions from Across the Project

Wednesday 08/16
9:00am - 10:30am
Grand Ballroom
  • The collective work of the entire LSST Project team is needed for LSST to be a success.  This plenary session is dedicated to celebrating the diverse contributions of team members across LSST's geographically distributed Project team.  We will hear ~10 lightning talks and give everyone an opportunity to share “What do you do for LSST?”

ComCam Hardware and Interfaces

Tuesday 08/15
11:00am - 12:30pm
Indigo

Status updates, plans, and interfaces for the construction of the Commissioning Camera.  Everything from the telescope to DM needs to be ready when ComCam is installed, so all of ComCam's interfaces need to be fully defined soon.  These interfaces are largely the same as those on the full Camera.  The differences are documented in LSE-289, but the details are incomplete.  This session will continue the work on those details.

Agenda

-ComCam Team
-Brief ComCam Description
-Review division of responsibilities between Camera and T&S
-Review Schedule
•Camera
•T&S
-Interfaces
Organizer: 
James Howard
Suggested Audience: 
ComCam team

Self-serve breakfast upstairs

Tuesday 08/15
Wednesday 08/16
Thursday 08/17
Friday 08/18
Breakfast 8:00am - 9:00am
Canyon II/IV

Light breakfast, coffee and tea

M1M3 AIT & V Tucson

Thursday 08/17
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 1

The M1M3 Team will start the Mirror Cell Integration and Surrogate Mirror Assembly by the end of September 2017. 

Team Members will present the AIT-V status of the M1M3 sub-assemblies, the schedule and Integration plan.

We will focus only on activities that will happen here in Tucson.

 

Organizer: 
Constanza Araujo

CANCELLED - DM Verification Planning Matrix Hack Session

Tuesday 08/15
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 2

Per organizer's request.

This is one of four subsystem verification planning matrix hack sessions (one for each major subsystem).  The purpose of this session is to collaboratively work on filling in additional blanks in LSE-61 and all DM-related LSE ICDs verification planning matrices.  The goal is to make substantive process towards identifying the verification owner, level, verification method(s), verification requirement (description of verification activities proposed), and success criteria for requirements that have not been addressed previously.

Organizer: 
Brian Selvy
Suggested Audience: 
Systems Engineers (Project-level and DM) and DM subject matter experts

SAC Meeting

Monday 08/14
9:00am - 10:30am
Verbena

Open Meeting

8:30-10:00   Project-Community Interface & Communication - Beth Willman, Amanda Bauer & Mario Juric
10:30-11:15   Community White Paper on Observing Strategy - Zeljko Ivezic
11:15-12:00   Community alert brokers - Eric Bellm and Beth Willman

Welcome and Opening Plenary

Monday 08/14
3:30 - 5:00pm
Grand Ballroom

Welcome, Meeting Themes, Status

The Project - Science Community interface - How can we support each other

Two-way information flow between the LSST Project and the Science Community is critical for the community to prepare for LSST Operations, and for the LSST Project to buld a system that will maximize its science output.  However, identifying the subject areas and processes that will generate the most effective and efficient interactions between the LSST Project and the Science Community has been a longstanding challenge. In this session, we will tackle this issue through a structured discussion.  This discussion will be centered on recent use cases, for example lessons learned on Workflow Engine (i.e. running the Stack on different computing architecture), analysis of simulated/real images, input into commissioning and the observing strategy.   

Suggested Audience: 
Everyone

Summit Facility Environmental Control - Status and Refinement

Tuesday 08/15
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 1

Update on the environmental control (principally cooling and ventilation) systems designed and being installed at the Summit Facility.  This includes main chillers, special chillers and refrigeration, active ventilation systems, and the control of all these systems.  After update, discussion will be invited on the refinement of systems already defined and further development of those in process of design/definition.  The latter category includes facility cooling systems for the Camera, Coating Plant and Computer room.

Organizer: 
Jeff Barr
Suggested Audience: 
T&S and Camera Team members related with responsibilites related to cooling and environmental control

Camera Verification Planning Matrix Hack Session

Tuesday 08/15
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 2

This is one of four subsystem verification planning matrix hack sessions (one for each major subsystem).  The purpose of this session is to collaboratively work on filling in additional blanks in LSE-59 and all Camera-related LSE ICDs verification planning matrices.  The goal is to make substantive process towards identifying the verification owner, level, verification method(s), verification requirement (description of verification activities proposed), and success criteria for requirements that have not been addressed previously.

Organizer: 
Brian Selvy
Suggested Audience: 
Systems Engineering (Project-level and Cam) and Cam subject matter experts

Citizen Science with LSST Data

Tuesday 08/15
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 1
LSST Researchers will be able to initiate Citizen Science projects using LSST data.  The session will get you thinking about about the possibilities as we share the process of how you can test out possible ideas with small sample sets before moving into full project launch.
Organizer: 
Amanda Bauer

SAC Meeting

Monday 08/14
11:00am - 12:30pm
Verbena

Open Meeting

8:30-10:00   Project-Community Interface & Communication - Beth Willman, Amanda Bauer & Mario Juric
10:30-11:15   Community White Paper on Observing Strategy - Zeljko Ivezic
11:15-12:00   Community alert brokers - Eric Bellm and Beth Willman

From Raft Testing to ComCam

Thursday 08/17
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Aster 2

From Raft Testing to ComCam: Raft test data, organized via the eTraveler database is now available. In this session, we explore the obs_comCam package under development with DM, and how to interact with databases via the Butler. We’ll also discuss what needs to go into obs_comCam before ComCam first light, including potential simulation of comCam. This is a follow-on to the original session at the 2017 JTM, and related to the CCB item: "Integrate DM and Camera data systems early". Understand the goal for DM personnel coming to SLAC IR2 and what would the data be used for, and what is the timeline.

Draft Agenda:

  • Introduction - Richard Dubois, Robert Lupton
  • ETU2 Test Data to date - Kevin Reil
  • Camera Raft testing & thoughts on simulations - Jim Chiang
  • Jupyter notebooks for obs_comCam - Merlin Fisher-Levine
  • Pathfinder plans and evolution from I&T to the summit - Tony Johnson
Organizer: 
Richard Dubois, Robert Lupton
Suggested Audience: 
Camera, DM

Multi Subsystem Software Pathfinders (CCS, DAQ, DM, OCS, TCS, ...)

Wednesday 08/16
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Lantana

As LSST commissioning efforts ramp up there are many opportunities to bring LSST subsystems together. For example, we have started bringing together the observatory control system (OCS), telescope control system (TCS), camera control system (CCS), data acquisition system (DAQ) and the data management (DM) subsystems. We will discuss these pathfinders as well as the auxiliary telescope and ComCam (in Tucson) as FY18 pathfinders.

Organizer: 
Kevin Reil & Brian Selvy
Suggested Audience: 
LSST Subsystems Scientists and Engineers

Sky tiling, field overlaps, and instrument rotations

Tuesday 08/15
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Indigo

The combination of pointing locations and instrument rotations will dicate the FOV-scale structure of the LSST's sky coverage. The focal plane CCD layout is not a space-filling shape. I propose a two hour discussion to explore the impacts of different sky tiling and field overlap alternatives, with the specific goal of establishing an appropriate suite of metrics. 

Presentations:

  1. Intro and Overview- C. Stubbs 15 min
  2. MAF Tools for Assessing Coverage, Overlaps and Rotations- P. Yoachim 10 min
  3. Comments on Dithers and Rotations - S. Ridgway  10 min
  4. Discussion. 
     

 

 

Organizer: 
Christopher Stubbs
Suggested Audience: 
interested folks from both the project team members and science community

Developer resources at NCSA

Wednesday 08/16
11:00am - 12:30pm
Aster 1

A discussion surrounding the allocation and access of the resources at NCSA available to developers now. 

With 2PB of data and 2304 cores available at NCSA, it would be helpful to have a session to discuss the shared stack, disk quotas (including temporary scratch space), and CPU allocation. 

Organizer: 
Don Petravick
Suggested Audience: 
DM Science Pipelines developers, NCSA

Scheduler generating targets from conditions to survey

Thursday 08/17
3:30 - 5:00pm
Lantana
Current development status, future development plans, history, assumptions, and where visions are taking the creation of the scheduler software.
Discussion points:
  • Scheduling algorithms validated during prototype effort
  • Scheduler designed for control and simulation context
  • Development plan coordinated with SOCS for I&T
  • Integration activities with Observatory Control System
  • In Control context the Scheduler drives the LSST survey
  • In Simulation context the Scheduler evaluates alternate surveys for parameters exploration and optimizations during operations
Organizer: 
Francisco Delgado

Engaging your audience

Monday 08/14
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Grand Ballroom

Whether you are communicating across sub-systems, to the LSST community, to the media, or to your uncle Bob, making your story and your work understandable to others is important in achieving your goals. Communicating complex ideas does not come naturally to everyone, but is a skill that can be developed with a few basic tips and a little practice, which you will get in this session. 

Organizer: 
Amanda Bauer
Suggested Audience: 
everyone

Calibration products

Thursday 08/17
3:30 - 5:00pm
Verbena

DIscuss what calibration products are needed and long term plans for managing them properly. This is intended to include both image-like products (e.g. flats) and slowly varying products such as bad pixel masks, amplifier gain and crosstalk correction tables.

Organizer: 
Simon Krughoff, Merlin Fisher-Levine
Suggested Audience: 
Data management

What to Expect at the LSST DAC

Wednesday 08/16
11:00am - 12:30pm
Lantana
What will be available at the LSST Data Access Center (DAC) and how will the community will be able to use the DAC resources to explore and analyze the LSST data?  The topic may be extended with discussion of external resources under development for LSST and other synoptic survey data. 
Organizer: 
Mario Juric

Refreshments provided downstairs

Tuesday 08/15
Wednesday 08/16
Thursday 08/17
PM Break 3:00pm - 3:30pm
Terrace Level Foyer

PM break

Python3 Upgrade Hack Session

Friday 08/18
3:30 - 5:00pm
Aster 2

The aim of the session is to bring any and all Python 2 code from across the project and receive help in porting it to Python 3. Specific systems include SAL (core OCS interface library), telescope, site, and camera.

We have some software at NCSA and some in Tucson which is sitll python 2. DM is mainly python3 ready and next year we would like to go completely to python3. In this sessions we would look and and convert existing python2 software to python3. Friday seems a good time for this.

Organizer: 
O'Mullane, Jenness

Commissioning Rehearsals 1

Thursday 08/17
11:00am - 12:30pm
Grand Ballroom

THIS SESSION WILL NOT BE REMOTELY ACCESSIBLE

Agenda

Session 1: 11:00am - 12:30pm

Purpose of the session: processes and organizational structures

Introductions and identifying roles in commissioning: commissioning team and stakeholders

Process 1  - nominal comcam

Lunch: 12:30pm - 1:30pm

Session 2: 1:30pm - 3:00pm

Quick recap of session 1

Process 2 - early integration

Recap: What did we learn about commissioning? How worked well in this session? What could be improved next time?

--------------------------------------------------------

 In room simulation of comissioning planning. Perhpas with two  scenarios. A typical day with everything nominal - same day with some event causing a replan. A second process for somethign earlier in comissioning.

The simulations whould investigate and highlight: Who makes which decisions in comissioning, which level deciisons can be made without escalation.  We start the day with a schedule how is that given to all sites ? (is there an agreed single locaiton with the cirrecnt scheule ?) - is there a 15 minute status telcon for all sites ? Who calls and chairs it ?  Is this all included in the As&Rs? How well is this documented in the comissioning plan.

Are commissionng events tied to procedures ? Are actors in the procedures aware of their roles? Where do we keep procedures ? Do we have status displays configured for speicif procedures (to highligh relevent parameters from EFD) ? How are specific tasks communicated, passed on for execution , and executed - who are the actors in each of the steps. How do we keep logs of what was done ..

All of this can be simulated with paper and postits in a few hours session where the main aim would be to understanand the primary roles and responsilbitites and the correcnt communicaiton channels for comissioning.

This may be held in a single room with tables representing the different physical locaitons invovled in LSST comissioning. Workflow may be done using laptops or using paper (the tactile paper may be useful).

We should also have an audience watching the interactions - the audience would be required to stay silent during the simulations but would be required to give feedback when the simulation was "paused" by the moderator. Feedback should note how situations were handled - perhaps suggesting better or more efficient ways of dealing with incidents.

Organizer: 
Chuck Claver and William O'Mullane and Keith Bechtol
Suggested Audience: 
All availble actors from the comissioning plan.

Public Talk 7 pm: Building the Next Great Science Engine

Thursday 08/17
Evening Events
Canyon I/III

Download the Presentation (93MB)

Presented by Victor Krabbendam & Chuck Claver
 LSST Project Manager and Systems Scientist

The Public is invited to attend a FREE Lecture, Thursday, August 17th, 7pm, at the Westin La Paloma Canyon Ballrooms, 3800 E. Sunrise Drive, Tucson, AZ. Project Manager Victor Krabbendam and Astronomer Chuck Claver will describe the revolutionary Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST) from its motivation and early design to science operations which start in 2022.  Currently under construction in Chile, LSST will survey the entire visible southern sky every few days for a decade – the widest, fastest and deepest view of the night sky ever observed. LSST’s vast archive of data will dramatically advance our knowledge of the dark energy and dark matter that make up 95 percent of the universe, as well as galaxy formation and potentially hazardous asteroids.

LSST’s design takes advantage of technology breakthroughs in mirror construction, database technology, and camera sensor fabrication.  LSST data will be available not only to professional scientists, but also to the public, including students and people involved in “citizen science” projects.

We invite you to join LSST for an evening of astronomy August 17.  Learn about the motivation and behind-the-scene stories of LSST’s construction and how you can be involved in the discoveries of this amazing science engine.  Following the talk, the speakers and other LSST team members will be available for informal conversations on topics from astronomy, engineering, STEM careers, LSST’s education and outreach programs, Big Data, Chile, and much more.  A no-host bar will be available. 


Victor KrabbendamVictor Krabbendam has been LSST Project Manager since 2012, after eight years as Project Manager for the LSST Telescope & Site subsystem. Trained as a mechanical engineer, Victor has worked in industry, government, and with major astronomical research facilities including the Hobby-Eberly Telescope at McDonald Observatory and the Southern Astrophysical Research (SOAR) Telescope, a 4.1 meter telescope that is LSST's neighbor on Cerro Pachón.


Chuck ClaverChuck Claver is the LSST Systems Scientist and Lead of LSST Commissioning. Chuck got his PhD in astronomy from the University of Texas at Austin, and brings more than two decades of work at national observing facilities including the Mayall 4m and WIYN 3.5m at Kitt Peak National Observatory and the Blanco 4m and SOAR 4m in Chile). 

Organizer: 
Krabbendam & Claver

Milky Way and Microlensing Science

Tuesday 08/15
3:30 - 5:00pm
Verbena

Breakout session to discuss deep drilling fields and/or a mini-survey of the Galactic Plane and Bulge region, to maximize the LSST science return from these regions in particular. Includes (but not limited to): microlensing, Galactic structure and the ISM, and variable stars. The overall goal of the session is to form a working team around the proposal to write a White Paper by the end of 2017. In addition to outlining the science motivations for this paper, we will form groups to conduct simulations and develop improved metrics in order to evaluate alternative DDF/minisurvey designs with respect to the science goals, and explore synergies with complementary and contemporaneous surveys such as WFIRST and Gaia.

Session Outline

Session Scribe: Stephen Ridgway

3:30 - 3:40pm R. A. Street Welcome and Introduction

3:40 - 4:00pm W. Clarkson Review of science drivers

4:00 - 4:10pm G. Pastorelli LSST - TRILEGAL Simulations

4:10 - 4:30pm N. Rattenbury Review of minisurvey strategies to serve science goals

4:30 - 4:45pm M. Lund/D. Ciardi Metrics

4:45 - 4:50pm C. Stubbs LSST Scheduler Simulations and Microlensing

4:45 - 5:00pm R. A. Street Discussion & White Paper planning

 

Remote participation

Please connect through BlueJeans, meeting number 182050302.

 

Organizer: 
Rachel Street
Suggested Audience: 
All scientists with an interest in the topics

The Project - Science Community interface - How can we support each other

Tuesday 08/15
11:00am - 12:30pm
Verbena

The Project - Science Community interface - How can we support each other

Two-way information flow between the LSST Project and the Science Community is critical for the community to prepare for LSST Operations, and for the LSST Project to buld a system that will maximize its science output.  However, identifying the subject areas and processes that will generate the most effective and efficient interactions between the LSST Project and the Science Community has been a longstanding challenge. In this session, we will tackle this issue through a structured discussion.  This discussion will be centered on recent use cases, for example lessons learned on Workflow Engine (i.e. running the Stack on different computing architecture), analysis of simulated/real images, input into commissioning and the observing strategy.   

Organizer: 
Zeljko Ivezic
Suggested Audience: 
Everyone

What are DM people working on?

Tuesday 08/15
11:00am - 12:30pm
Lantana

A heavily-moderated round-table where DM folks describe what they are (or have recently been) working on. Maybe lightning talks (2 slides, 2 minutes each?) but that is not required. Then an overview from the T-CAMs of how those pieces of work integrate into the larger plan.

Organizer: 
David Reiss, Eric Bellm
Suggested Audience: 
All of DM

Auxiliary Telescope Integration Planning

Tuesday 08/15
3:30 - 5:00pm
Lantana

This breakout aims to coordinate the integration of the Auxiliary Telescope, specifically the spectrograph instrument that uses an LSST sensor and corner raft readout electronics. Discussion topics will include defining outstanding interfaces, updates on timelines, detailing of required testing, and path forward to the handoff to commissioning. 

The current agenda is as follows, where the time limits indicate the amount of presentation time:

  1. A summary of the software integration activities/pathfinders and their schedule - (12 min) - Gregory Dubois-Felsmann
  2. A summary of the Auxiliary Telescope (and Spectrograph) Integration activities and schedule (10 min) - Patrick Ingraham
  3. An overview of how DM reduction/analysis software intends to interact with telemetry and the DM Header Service - (15 min) - Robert Lupton 
  4. A presentation of the DM header service design, it's interaction with the EFD, and it's service to with users/software. (15 minutes) - Felipe Menanteau 
Organizer: 
Patrick Ingraham
Suggested Audience: 
People involved in the Auxiliary Telescope, AT Instrumentation, and AT Data handling